Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Nine Free {Or Almost Free} Things My Children Want for Valentine's Day

Ever since my husband proposed twenty-two years ago, we haven't made a big fuss over Valentine's Day. Maybe our version of romance is more practical, although I'm a gal that can appreciate a bouquet of roses...as long as I don't think about the money spent. J

That said, February 14 is a convenient time to have a little celebration. The Christmas hoopla has long been forgotten by most, but we're still a ways away from the trees budding and the daffodils blooming and Easter preparations. It can be a bright spot in a long winter.

Since we're building a home and every penny counts, I asked my children what they wanted to do for Valentine's Day that didn't cost anything...or at least didn't cost much.


The day off school. This is a definite possibility, although this year, that day off will probably be filled with insulating the home under construction. J

A Santa Clause movie marathon. Also a definite possibility. One last hurrah of Christmas before we move on into spring. The reds of Valentine's Day always remind me of Christmas anyway. {I hesitate to allow that much movie-watching, so we’ll see on this one.}

Cookies. Pink M&M or sugar with sprinkles, it doesn't matter.

Use the Valentine-themed paper plates and napkins left from a few years ago. I'm good with that.

Valentine's Day themed word search. I found one at The Homeschool Classroom.

Valentine's Day theme Lego minifig writing prompts. This is starting to sound a bit like school to me, but I'm certainly not going to mention that to them. J

Make Valentines for each other. We are not crafty in general, so any day we get out the construction paper and glue seems like a celebration.

Candy hearts. They aren’t free, but it's do-able.

Listen to the Adventures in Odyssey episodes about Valentine's Day. In one, Connie explores the origins of St. Valentine's Day. In another, Trent is bullied by Max who wants to leave a papier mache heart on Mandy's desk, but Mandy thinks Trent left it. We love this one because of the "advice" Trent receives from his imaginary buddies, Colombo, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Bill Cosby.

The best part of all these suggestions? Togetherness on a day of love. J


Have a wonderful and blessed Valentine’s Day!







What do you do for Valentine's Day for your children? I think I could use some ideas. J





~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket 1-Minute Bible Love Notes Courtship Connection AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket Hearts for Home Blog Hop Missional Women


Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. I love these ideas!! What fun!!! We are super practical around here. I chuckled the other day when a friend asked me for restaurant ideas - and all I could come up with were pizza places because when we dated and before we had kids, we'd always go out for pizza! ha! We're a totally laid back couple. And I love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had pizza last night with the children for Valentine's Day, Rosilind. It's a terrific date meal. Thanks for commenting! :-)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like it was fun, Meghan. Thanks for sharing this, just wish my children were still young enough to enjoy these things still.

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)