Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Ten Tidbits about My Big Family’s Milk Consumption

If you’re my friend on Facebook or you follow me on Twitter, you may remember this picture I posted last Friday evening.


I took this at Sam’s Club, right after loading our cart with a week’s worth of milk for our family of eight. {Our children are ages 14, 12, 10, 8, 5, and 3.} I’ve posted photos like this before, and they always spark questions. So, I apologize for the egocentricity of this post, but here are ten tidbits about my family’s love of milk.

~ One ~
Eight gallons last about a week. J

~ Two ~
We all like milk, including my husband and me. As the 14yo says, “Who doesn’t like milk?” J

~ Three ~
Even before my husband and I had children, we would buy two gallons every time we shopped, about once a week.



~ Four ~
Our family has pop maybe once or twice each week and only if we have pizza or Mexican. This seems like a lot to us. We drink some Koolaid but not every day. I make iced tea but not every day. Our two main drinks are water and milk. {Plus a bit of coffee in the morning. J}

~ Five ~
We have a refrigerator/freezer in our garage that houses our extra milk. We keep only one gallon inside, so someone goes out to the garage for another gallon at least once a day. But we’re going to have both refrigerators in the kitchen in our new house! J

~ Six ~
On those rare occasions that we eat someplace like Cracker Barrel or O'Charley's, I drink water or tea as do our children. Have you seen the prices for a glass of milk? I could buy almost an entire gallon for that amount. And they don’t give refills!!

~ Seven ~
With a Sunday dinner of beef roast, mashed potatoes, green beans, and fresh vegetables, I'll have 1 1/2 to 2 glasses of milk. Milk, for me, cleanses the palette. I've tried drinking fruity, flavored drinks with a meal. It's disgusting. Water is doable, but it’s not the same. J

~ Eight ~
So why would a grown woman like milk so much? Let me lay down on the figurative couch.... J I have always liked milk, but I think I grew to like it more as a child because my mom was not a very good cook. Milk would wash away the flavor of the food.

~ Nine ~
I can taste a difference between Aldi milk and Meijer milk and Walmart milk and Sam's Club milk. Sam's Club milk is the best, plus it has an extra seal for freshness.

~ Ten ~
You know how the OB always wants to push a calcium supplement when you’re pregnant because it takes three glasses of milk every day otherwise? No problem.
J









What other questions do you have?

How much milk do you drink? Or do you? J {My mother-in-law doesn’t like it and won’t drink it. She thinks I'm crazy.}




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket Missional Women


Pin It!

13 comments:

  1. I don't drink it at all. Never have. I like it in cereal and love ice cream, and I cook with it that's as much as I can handle it.

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
  2. After one of my sisters had problems with milk as a toddler, we switched to soy milk. We've been drinking soy milk for almost 5 years now. I can't stand drinking "cow's milk" anymore. The 4yr likes it on occasion, as does Dad but the rest of us don't like it.

    Random note: I love Cracker Barrel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Our family is 3 to 4 gallons a week and I thought that was a lot. Of course, my husband doesn't really drink it and we only have two daughters, but the little one gets mad at me if I let the supply run out. She does not accept substitute beverages!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I drank milk growing up but it was powdered milk in a big metal can. By the time I went to college I stopped drinking it because I got the notion that it helped (along with chocolate) me break out. When we had children, enough of them reacted to milk and we either drank fresh goats milk from the farm in back of us or fresh milk from a farm without hormones or anything crazy in it. We never went through more than 3 gallons in two weeks for 9 people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a while when I was a child, my mom drove my brother and me to a local dairy farm to buy milk fresh from the cows. It was fascinating to scoop our milk out of the big vat and see their equipment -- the exact reason why she did it. :-) I remember skimming the cream off the top and making butter. The milk was incredible! Thanks, Judith, for sharing your memories and jogging mine. :-)

      Delete
  5. We go through about 2 gallons a week for the 5 of us. Most of that is in our coffee, cooking, etc. I would love to drink milk all the time but not sure we can afford it right now. :) An extra 1-1.5 gallons of fresh goats milk is bought for the toddler. Since we had to supplement starting at 5 months, he has learned to love milk very much! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Milk can get quite expensive, depending on where you live, can't it, Naomi? Seems like it ought to be less than the sugar drinks.

      Delete
  6. I don't drink milk either. No allergies I just don't like the taste. My husband is lactose intolerant as is one of our girls, so we don't consume much milk here. However, we love our yogurt and my grocery cart looks like yours but with tubs of yogurt : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUMMY! There's 8 of us too and we get strange looks when we buy 8 gallons for 2 weeks :) Between yogurt making & kefir, we could probably up it to 10 easily!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of great comments! It seems that milk is a love-it-or-hate-it kind of drink. :-) Y'all are jogging lots of memories for me. My mom used to make yogurt. It was pretty good, but the only way she flavored it was with jam, which tasted a little odd. Do you yogurt-makers have any suggestions for flavoring? Or do you eat it plain? We found a yogurt that doesn't have high fructose corn syrup in it, but it would still be neat to make our own.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meghan, my family makes yogurt all the time. We eat it with jam, fruit preserves, fresh fruit, honey, a mix of cinnamon and brown sugar with apples and in all kinds of savory dips and dishes. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here in Mexico, it's almost impossible to get flavoured yogurt without food colouring in it. For 1 kg, we flavour plain yogurt with 2 tsp of vanilla, or a heaping Tbsp of jam. Our girls love the vanilla, and I love the jam! =)

    Love your pictures, and glad you enjoyed the conference!
    In Him,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like milk, but I could live without it...for drinking. (I need it for my Rice Krispies though :) I cook with milk a lot. Only 1 of my 4 kids likes white milk to drink, the others like to drink chocolate milk, but I don't think they would miss it if we didn't have any one week. I only buy fat free milk, anything else and I feel like I am drinking whipping cream.

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)