Monday, April 14, 2014

When It Doesn’t Look Right on the Hanger ~ My Daughter’s Modest Monday

Our girls’ shopping day was supposed to be a day of fun and laughter and lunch…and maybe a few bargains. J

But that day, the two thrift stores we had been to already had been absolutely packed, customers elbowing their way through the aisles, check-out lines snaking clear to the back of the store. I had been carrying my winter coat on my arm for too long, working up a tacky perspiration and a tired attitude.

“Let’s go, girls.” I glanced at the racks around me, ready to get home to a comfortable chair. “I think we’re done here.”

The 14yo hitched her one item up on her forearm and followed me down the aisle. The 12yo’s arms were empty. They wore matching expressions of disappointment. It had been an unfruitful day, the highlight being our lunch together.

Out of habit, I turned my gaze to the hanging items we passed. A blouse {does anyone even still use that word? J} caught my eye because it had ¾-length sleeves. I stopped and pulled out a sleeve. The shirt was black with small red and pink roses in a tight pattern. It wasn’t much to look at, but the sleeves hung attractively. I pulled it from the rack and noticed a delicate pin-tuck across the bodice.

Still, it just hung there. It wasn’t exactly drab, but it wasn’t exciting. It caught my attention, but it wasn’t particularly noteworthy. It had a nice pink, but the edges of the roses seemed so jagged and sharp.

“What do you think?”

“I like it,” the 12yo said. “It’s pink.”

“Yeah.” The 14yo seemed noncommittal. “It’s okay.”

“Want to try it on?”

“I guess. Why not?”

A few minutes later, she stepped out of the dressing room, fairly glowing in the shimmering crimson and pink flowers interconnected with delicate twining leaves.

A smile spread across her face. “What do you think?”

“Are you sure that’s the same shirt you took off the hanger?”




What the 14yo wore ~

Black skirt ~ thrift store
Roses ¾ length sleeve shirt ~ thrift store half-off day J
White cotton sleeveless shell ~ thrift store
Black belt ~ hand-me-down from my youth
Black shoes ~ Payless



Lilla Rose flexi ~ Half-up in an extra-small Copper Rose flexi








What garments have you found that aren’t attractive on the hanger, but when you put them on, they’re wonderful? Why does it happen like that? J



~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket Missional Women


Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. I love it!! It would have caught my eye. I love the pin-tucks too.

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those pin-tucks are what sold me, Charlotte. :-)

      Delete
  2. Absolutely love it! But, yeah even though it would have caught my eye I know how some things look "not right" on a hanger. I use the word blouse all the time. As a matter of fact my mother and I recently took the children spring/summer clothing shopping (thank GOD long skirts and dresses are coming back not only for adults but for little girls as well) and I was dead set on finding a replacement for my "perfect" white blouse. You know the kind, you can dress them up or dress them down and they work for everything? I'd had to toss my old one due to a stain on the chest that just would not come out. I'd lost hope, we were on the way out of the last store when my mother spotted a simple 3/4 sleeve white button down blouse on a hanger ... I wasn't convinced but I let her buy it (50% off). I tried it on when I got home and am in love with this blouse. It's perfect! It even has cotton side panels so that it doesn't "pull and stretch" around my belly area! Good spotting Mom (mine and you ;-) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trends do seem to be coming back to longer skirts, don't they? Time to stock up!! :-) Good job on the blouse, Chrystal! I love it when that happens, especially with something that is such a staple.

      Delete
  3. Well, that's a nice bonus! For me it's usually the opposite! Things tend to look much better on the hanger than they do on me! lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing about myself, Crystal. :-) It's probably no secret why my daughters are here so much more than me.

      Delete
  4. I could read what you write for hours. English isn't my first language, but I really love your writing skills... Do you have any written book available? I think you would do great writing historical romances

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely blouse! And what a lovely daughter. Sometimes the greatest finds are the most unexpected ones.

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)