Monday, May 19, 2014

Growing Up and a Helpful Hint ~ My Daughter’s Modest Monday

Last week, I posted a reader question about shopping at thrift stores for size 2T. You all gave some great suggestions! Thank you. J

All week, I’ve been sniffling over my babies growing up, especially the 8yo {the one who was two years old in last week’s photos}. She wants to grow up and be as helpful as her big sisters, which is both wonderful and awful. J

On Friday, I had the responsibility of making the initial contact and working with a kitchen designer to plan cabinets for the new house. My husband and children were working on the house, but I needed to take the 3yo with me. He’s too little to be much help without great supervision, so it was best if he tagged along with me. The 8yo, eager to be a Big, quickly volunteered to be my big helper for that trip and entertain the 3yo while I worked out cabinets.



We also had a quick stop at the fabric store and a late lunch at Taco Bell, her favorite fast food. We don’t go often because it seems expensive for such tiny portions, but with just the three of us, we indulged. My dainty 8yo ended up eating an entire soft taco, finishing her brother’s taco, and scarfing down at least one-third of my Mexican pizza!

For all this hoopla, she wanted to look like her big sisters. J  




What the 8yo wore ~

Denim peasant skirt ~ made from pre-ruffled fabric with one seam up the middle
Shorts underneath ~ Wal-Mart
¾ length sleeve shirt ~ hand-me-down from the 14yo {originally from Wal-Mart}
Navy blue Mary Jane’s ~ hand-me-down from the 12yo



Lilla Rose flexi ~ size extra-large Cameo Appearance flexi ~ I rolled her hair into a bun-making-thingamajig and secured it with a flexi. She adored how big and poufy it was! J


Helpful Hint ~ When you find a garment that you love ~ it’s modest and the right color and a good price ~ buy multiples, including sizes for your daughter to grow into. I found the 8yo’s shirt at Wal-Mart perhaps six years ago and fell in love with it immediately. It’s a lightweight cotton but with longer sleeves, perfect for warmer weather. I bought three or four different colors in multiple sizes! It felt a little odd to stash new clothes in the back of the closet, but it has been worth it. J










~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket Missional Women


Pin It!

11 comments:

  1. And that she does!!! --- looks just like her BIG sisters! How adorable! :)

    And what fun --- kitchen cabinet decisions to be made all by yourself! Lucky you!!! :) How cool is that? I can only imagine that you must be feeling ready to have this move all done at this point though. Moving is tough to begin with but to be building at the same time must be stressful as well. You have been one busy lady! It'll all be worth it for sure.
    I can't wait to see pictures when it's all done.
    Are you building close to where you live now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are building very close to where we are now, Sue, which has been wonderful as far as not spending a ton of time in the car to get to the building site. :-) But the stress level is incredible...a good stress of excitement but also a difficult stress of will-it-all-work-out why-is-it-taking-so-long wondering. I'm sure I'll be taking a blogging break soon while my husband is off work. All efforts need to go to getting the house done. I'll be sharing more pictures on Friday.

      Delete
  2. She os a cutie. I bet she will be a great helper too.

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a great helper. Thanks, Charlotte. :-)

      Delete
  3. Does your family wear short sleeves in summer, or just 3/4? Just wondering :) love the poufy bun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few short sleeves, but I prefer 3/4 length for myself. Everyone else wears short sleeves. So glad to see you here, Zee. :-)

      Delete
  4. Adorable! :) Glad you got a special day out with your little ones! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odd to have only two with me, but definitely special, Sarah! :-)

      Delete
  5. love her hair! I know what you mean my baby is only 15 months but when babies r us had a $4 sale on a bunch of different racks I stocked up lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the skirt, shirt, and Flexi (of course) and glad everything is coming along quickly and smoothly on your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Designing your kitchen, how fun! I remember well the days when we designed and built our home, and having 'helpers' along for my many errands. It was fun hearing about your day together - making memories!
    Your daughter is adorable, very close to the same age as my youngest, who also loves wearing her skirts and flexi's :) Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)