Monday, May 12, 2014

Shopping Thrift Stores for 2T? ~ A Reader Question and Flashback Modest Monday

I know that shopping for modest clothing can be difficult these days, so when a reader emailed a question about size 2T, I thought it might be best if I just ask you all. This also might be helpful to those women who don’t necessarily dress in skirts all the time but still like to shop thrift stores. Can you help her out, please?

Reader Question: I am not much of a seamstress and we do a lot of thrift store shopping for clothes. My problem is trying to find modest skirts or dresses at thrift stores for my daughter who is size 2T. Most are too short. It is startling to me to see so much thigh exposed on a child. Do you have any suggestions or tips for finding modest thrift store skirts and dresses? 


My response: At that age (12 to 24 months?), I wasn't too concerned with the length of skirt. I just made sure my girls had shorts or diaper covers on under their skirts. They are so active, crawling, learning to walk, playing, climbing, that a longer skirt would just be in the way.

That said, you could look for slightly larger sizes to get the length you want. Depending on her waist size, you might have to take tucks or pin it. Dresses that tie in the back or loose jumpers would be perfect in that situation. I have also found some great skirts over the years at Walmart and Target. If you buy from the sale or clearance racks at the end of a season, the prices can be quite low.

You may also find it worth the time and gas money to drive a little further to other thrift stores. My local thrift store (within ten minutes of my home) is not very good. My daughters and I typically drive into our larger metropolitan area and go to two or three in an afternoon, some as much as 40 minutes away. 

Finally, prayer. Pray before you shop, that God would show you favor as you select clothing for your daughter.



I haven’t shopped for 2T for a few years. {Sniffle. L} So I combed my photo archives and found some pictures of my now-8yo when she was just two years old. These are from a Spring Break trip we took to the Gulf Shores area of Alabama. It was quite chilly that year, and we wore jackets for the better part of the week.

As best I can remember from these photos J, my daughter is wearing all rummage sale clothing in these photos. The tops would be about 24 months to 3T, depending on shrinkage. The jumpers I found all at one or two garage sales and were about 4T to 5T. I was not necessarily stuck on having jumpers that long, but look how cute they were!


I’ll leave you with my thanks and go hug my 8yo with tears in my eyes. J








So what say you? What tips do you have for finding modest 2T clothes?


~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket Missional Women


Pin It!

17 comments:

  1. Try Consignment Shops... I know they're not quite as cheap as Thrift Stores, but they are usually much cheaper than retail stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent idea. I had completely forgotten about consignment shops. Thank you! :-)

      Delete
  2. I know where we live there are a lot of children's consignment sales. They are chocked full of clothes for toddlers. If you come one the last day everything will often be half off or more and you can get a lot for under a dollar. My oldest daughter is six and we still often buy at least one size bigger still for added length. Hope this helps.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a couple of children's consignment stores nearby, and I used to go more often when I didn't have as many children to tote with me. :-) When my first was little, there was a weekend sale that would come to a nearby hotel once a year, and I remember getting some fantastic clothes for her there. They were a bit more than a thrift store but still well under retail price. Thanks, Sarah, for the reminder!

      Delete
  3. One idea is to find a skirt meant for an older girl, open up the waist, cut the elastic down to size, re-sew it, then close up the waist seam again. This works as long as the elastic was not sewn into the skirt with a serger.

    Another easy thing I like to do is to take a thrift-store t-shirt, cut it near the top of the ribcage, gather up material (try a cut of old sheet--the hem is already done for you!) and attach. My daughters really like these.

    Some jumpers really are quick and easy to sew--try Simplicity 5489.

    I think any mother wanting to dress her daughters modestly needs to be comfortable with a needle and thread. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the pattern number, Cherry. I should go look at my pattern stash and see if that's one of my favorites. I wouldn't be surprised if it is! :-) The reader wrote that she doesn't sew, but it can be quite easy to learn. I've seen lessons available privately or in classes at the larger chain fabric stores. There are also many sites online that have tutorials, if she chooses to learn.

      Delete
  4. Definitely look for bigger sizes. From the time my girls were in size 2T clothes, I have had them wear dresses (and blanket sleepers-I guess we just have abnormally long legs!) one or two sizes above their current size for shirts/pants. It didn't seem to matter if it was a new dress or a hand-me-down. They are size 7/8 and 10/12 now and it seems the sizes are FINALLY matching up now. But seriously, if I told grandma that daughter 2 was wearing size 4 clothes and she surprised us with a new 4T dress, I knew not to even waste our time trying it on. I would just immediately go and exchange it for a 5 or 6.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had the exact same experience, but the sizes still aren't matching up too well because everything is designed to fit like a second skin, at least the shirts. Thanks, Shirley, and I'm giggling over your abnormally long legs! :-)

      Delete
  5. My answer would be the same as yours: either ignore the length (that's the one area where my little ones' modesty "rules" are different from the olders - their proportions are totally different, so a shorter length doesn't bother me) and, if you're really worried about it, put leggings underneath. Or just buy a bigger size. We found that from about 2-4 or so, dresses don't typically get a lot bigger around - just longer. And my daughter never tripped. (My younger ones don't wear all dresses, but my oldest did.) She just walked on her hands-and-feet if/when she needed to, instead of crawling hands-and-knees so her knees didn't tangle in her dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leggings! My oldest wears only skirts or dresses by choice, but we require pants or shorts underneath. She's usually fine with it too. At 2, I wasn't so worried about a little exposure because I like to see those chubby thighs. My 2 year old is a real chunker :) but I don't let her wear "mini" skirts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My 15 month old is wearing 2T skirts that I got from Old Navy online. They come mid calf. My older two girls are 3T-5T, and there is nothing in stores that I can find. I had someone teach me how to sew skirts for them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We buy larger sizes and adjust the waist, or layer with leggings. Actually, we usually stick to knit dresses, which makes the skirt part moot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I shop thrift stores for my grandtwins and it is harder to find skirts or dresses than it once was when my girls were growing up. It is possible. I learned to sew because of the difficulty finding clothes for my girls but right now it is nearly impossible to sew being that the girls at 15 mo are extremely active unless sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, that is definitely a struggle. When my girls are in the baby/toddler stage, I usually have them in footed pjs most of the time because that's how I ensure they keep their feet covered! (My babies love to pull their socks off! :) If they're in dresses, I have them wear leggings underneath. Even my 3 and 4 year olds wear leggings or thick tights. The idea is modesty---and whether or not the dresses are "long enough" doesn't really matter when they're not old enough to sit like ladies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh what sweet pictures of your girls. My granddaughter is 5 and still wears shorts under all her skirts. She has 4 brothers and it helps keep her modest on the 4 rider and trampoline. From a young age she has known to dress in them if she wants to play so Melanie doesn't need to remind her - it's something she is responsible herself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree on the leggings underneath dresses and skirts! We use them for our 2.5 year old because she is still working on learning to sit like a lady. -- I have ONLY been able to find ones long enough at second hand stores and consignment sales. I think that maybe 5+ years ago they must have made everything a bit longer because now I cannot find anything below the knee. -- I also love buying dresses because our daughter has been able to wear all of her dresses at least two seasons. For example the dresses she wore last summer fit again this summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. a great source to look into is ebay! i sell a lot of skirts on there to women who want to dress feminine and modest. (right now i'm 60/40 pants/skirts in my convictions) sadly, i missed out on some little girl jumpers at a rummage sale, or i would've directed you to my store!

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)