Monday, June 23, 2014

Do You Iron Denim Hems? ~ My Daughter’s Modest Monday

I don’t have anything witty or pithy for today. Not even a good story to tell. My bad dream of having nothing to say for a Monday post has come true. J

So, let me ask you a question.

Do you iron the hem of your jeans or denim skirts?

When I was taking the 14yo’s pictures for this post and I aimed at her feet, she commented that her hem was wrinkled.

What? Who notices that?

As I’ve pondered this during the few minutes it has taken to write the sentences above, I realized that I used to iron the hems on all our denim skirts. When I wash them, I take them {and all jeans} out of the dryer while they are still quite damp. I run my hand along the hems to straighten them out before they dry. That eliminates a lot of wrinkling.

But a few years and a few children ago, I would iron all the hems.

Now...well...I didn’t even notice the 14yo’s hem.

So, here’s the question. Do you notice or care when a denim hem is rolled up?

See? Not much to say today. J


And just for kicks ~ try saying “denim hem” ten times fast. J




What the 14yo wore ~

Denim skirt ~ thrift store
Green striped shirt ~ thrift store {Liz Claiborne brand, if that matters J}
Brown belt ~ hand-me-down from me
Turquoise sandals ~ Lands End sale a couple of years ago


Lilla Rose flexi ~ half-up in extra-small Scrollwork Butterfly







Do you iron denim hems?



~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket Missional Women


Pin It!

11 comments:

  1. I do notice not ironed hems, collars, the front of a 3 button shirt when it is all wrinkled. We iron everything unless it is clothes we wear around the house and when I take them put of the dryer they are not wrinkled. I say we because my husband irons better than I do. Hahaha!!! He likes his shirts starched and the pleat ironed all the way to the bottom of the shirt. I am not as good at that as he is.

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iron? What's that? I was never taught how to iron. Somewhere in storage I have an iron, it's probably 25 years old and in almost new condition, because I have used it some. LOL! Unironed clothes really don't bother me. Hopefully that doesn't make me frumpy. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your daughter looks so pretty. Yes, I do often iron hems on skirts. Turned up hems on pants don't bother me so much.
    Please drop by!

    Blessings,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't tend to have a problem with jeans hems, but since we have a clothesline, I shake out and hang up all our dresses, skirts, and dressy shirts, which helps me out to not have to iron too many things. At least not jean skirts! =)

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just ironed the hem of my denim skirt this morning before I put it on :) I have to say it does bother me, so I do iron my hems straight. I should try pulling them out of the dryer earlier and smoothing them out, thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cut outfit. I iron hems on denim, especially skirts. Hope you have a happy week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only own one denim skirt and no matter how much I iron the hem, it tries to roll up on me constantly. Maybe that's why I only own one! The rolled up hem does bother me and most of the time I can't get it to lay straight, but I do try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When ironing skirts I iron all the skirt, top to bottom. It would be annoying to have the hem creased and hanging poorly.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, ladies, for your wonderful comments! Isn't it interesting to see how everyone is different? Quite frankly, I didn't expect this much discussion! :-)

    I apologize for my absence yesterday evening in responding to your comments. My mother went into the hospital Sunday night with her heart in atrial fibrillation (fast and irregular heartbeat). Monday was rather hectic with phone calls and a trip to the hospital an hour away plus the usual activities of a family. We got home last night late and tired. My mom responded to a new medication and she is getting back to normal now, just awaiting her orders to go home today (Tuesday). I'm thankful for answered prayers! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I do iron. I do not like to iron, though, and it usually takes me a while to get to my overflowing basket of clothes that need ironing. But clothes look so much better ironed. I was convicted of this a couple years ago, and have been ironing ever since. I don't enjoy ironing, but I feel good about taking care of my family with this simple act.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, nothing much to say and it GOT my attention!! Here is my answer: YES!! I iron the hems of my jean-skirts and not only that but the WHOLE skirt. I did the same (or my daughters did) on theirs BUT I didn't when they were all little as I gave up!!

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)