Friday, July 11, 2014

Tweaking the Schedule ~ The Beauty of Homeschooling

We fully intended to start school this week. Truly.

We discovered last year that we would rather school during the hot, sticky days of July and August so that we could have some freedom during our favorite times of year, fall and winter. J

Then life got in the way. My husband took Monday off which made it a heavy work-on-the-house day. Tuesday morning, my mother had a lengthy appointment an hour from me, and she wanted me to attend. My husband has most Fridays off, so by Wednesday morning I knew my time to start school was running short. Um…and did I mention that I hadn’t prepared all the materials yet anyway? J

I have read articles and blog posts and even sung the praises myself of the flexibility of homeschooling. One of the initial reasons we decided to homeschool was flexibility. My husband’s college schedule doesn’t coincide with the public school schedule except for Thanksgiving and Christmas. You know what that means? No vacations. For this travel-itchy family, that just wasn’t an option.

But then a brain-wave hit, and I wondered why I didn’t think of it before. J


During this temporary season of life, our family is ~

  • Building a house.
  • Studying for the Bible Bee test coming August 23.
  • Assisting in some financial decisions for my mother.
  • Struggling to maintain some semblance of normal family life – regular meals together, church activities, enough sleep…. J

So, who says we have to have five days of school every week? Our state’s only requirement is 180 days total.

Ultimately, once the house is done and the Bible Bee test is over {hopefully within a couple of months}, we’ll get to five-day weeks.

But for now, isn’t any number of days better than none?

My husband’s summer schedule is a little odd, and we need to be available when he’s home. Those days are usually Tuesday and Thursday late afternoons and all day Friday and Saturday.

So, here’s how it’s going to go for about the next two months.

Monday ~ full day of lessons.
Tuesday ~ half-day of lessons including spelling.
Wednesday ~ full day of lessons.
Thursday ~ remaining half-day of lessons and the spelling test.

We haven’t determined yet which subjects are done on Tuesday and which are done on Thursday. But it doesn’t really matter.

What’s important is the end result ~ a head-start on the year with just three days of school each week.

If this doesn’t work, we’ll tweak it. That’s the beauty of homeschooling.








How are you flexible in your homeschool? Do you see a problem area where flexibility might just be the answer?



~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket Missional Women


Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. This is brilliant. You've solved my how to get started with school when life is too crazy problem we're having this summer. Thank you! I'm going to get myself organized, order my books, and try to start early in August.
    Blessings,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thrilled you found this helpful, Laura! What's funny is that we've even tweaked some more, just since this post went up on Friday, trying to fit in a bit more as we look at the break time we might need this fall to get moved and perhaps take a little trip. :-)

      Prayers for a great school year for you!

      Delete
  2. Happy Back to School!

    I am homeschooling our second year of preschool this year and have decided to start the first Monday in August (the 4th). I was intending to start later, with the schools in our area, to make playdates easier to schedule BUT I thought about how hot and humid August is and decided to go ahead and begin school.

    Praying for your family as you settle back into school and as your house continues to come together.

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)