Tuesday, July 29, 2014

What are you putting off?

It was a simple desire, really.

I woke up Saturday morning with mending on my mind.

I went through my usual routine. Get dressed. Make the bed. Pick up the laundry. Make the coffee. Read my Bible. Write in my prayer journal.

Through it all, the pile on my sewing table that had been growing like mold grows on leftovers too long in the refrigerator was on my mind.

“Just get it done,” I told myself. “Now. This morning. Life will be so much better when that pile is eliminated, or, at the very least, reduced.”


So I attacked it. I put tucks in a couple of skirts. I attached a bit of trim and ruffle to an old denim skirt to give it a new life. I broke a needle. I had to start over again on the skirt hem when the bobbin ran out. I sewed on a button.

I didn’t get everything done, but I cut my mending pile in half.


Frustration accompanied me at times, but the end feeling of accomplishment was a good start to a Saturday.

What do you have piling up in a corner or waging a ground attack trying to take over more territory?

A pile of papers?
Science experiments growing in the refrigerator?
A disorganized linen closet?
A phone call or conversation?
Emails?

Start with prayer. Then attack back for just an hour and see how much land you can reclaim.

Divide it into smaller jobs and conquer that feeling of despair that accompanies the ginormous task as a whole.


Soon, that sprig of encouragement that shoots up with the completion of a little task could take root and grow into the need to get it all done. {I said could…. J}

You can do it.

Attack!


What are you putting off?






Summer is a great time for a Lilla Rose flexi to keep your hair up, and there are so many cute styles!





~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket Missional Women


Pin It!

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for the encouragement. I have lots of those "to-do" piles sitting around my house. The most noticeable is the piles from my daughter's wedding two weeks ago. They are still cluttering my dining room and today would be a good day for them to go where they belong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can just imagine the size of those after-wedding piles, Angie. I'm sure I still had stuff to find a place for for months after our wedding! Just an hour at a time.... :-)

      Delete
  2. I need to clean my office ... but I guess I'll wait until the kittens get a little bigger. We won't need that kennel for long that's taking up so much of my office space ... :) Thank you for the sweet encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shelli, for stopping in! Aww, your sweet kittens. I would definitely not hurry them along.... :-)

      Delete
  3. Such good advice. Just getting started can accomplish so much. I've been struggling with laziness lately, and just completed a Bible study on the subject, ending in some practical suggestions. http://ourlittlebrickhome.wordpress.com/2014/07/19/combating-laziness-when-i-really-dont-want-to/

    Glad I found you over at the Titus Tuesday's linkup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I wonder if it's laziness or just simply being overwhelmed with so much to get done. Prioritizing. Like you wrote, make it bite-sized chunks. :-) Either way, a bit of time here and there can make all the difference. :-)

      Delete
  4. I am putting off weeding my flower garden. The weeds are taking over and my flowers are getting lost! I think today I will go tackle it and see what I can get done in an hour! Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Tracy, I need to set aside an hour for that as well. So glad you were helped here today. :-)

      Delete
  5. I love the idea of starting a big job with prayer! How wonderful. Prayer makes every task a little easier and gives us a little more strength to get it done! Thank your for this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, sister! Glad you were encouraged, Deb. :-)

      Delete
  6. The times that I get over-whelmed is when I think too far ahead of all that needs to be done, as in weeding ALL the flower beds, and getting to ALL that crabgrass! The Lord reminds me that I only have this ONE definitive moment in time, along with that ONE particular hunk of crabgrass to attack. To think any further is to presume that I'll be here later, and I may be out of here, for he is coming to get me soon! I can hardly wait. "Now is a good time, Lord. I'm trying to be patient. As I wait, I'll go pull weeds, do the mending, and help someone along the journey home." So enjoy your posts! Blessings & joy~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "To think any further is to presume that I'll be here later, and I may be out of here, for he is coming to get me soon!" LOVE it, Debbie! You wrote a greatly encouraging post right here in the comments. :-) You are right -- one moment at a time. Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Start with prayer. Excellent advice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good advice and encouragement!! I tend to procrastinate until those "little jobs" become daunting, so I needed the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)