Friday, August 1, 2014

The Week Before a Long Break ~ Homeschool Week Wrap-Up

Happy Friday! J

Once we complete school today, we’ll have thirteen days done. Woot! So…it’s time for a break, right? My husband’s break between the summer and fall semesters is coming up, and since we have that freedom in homeschooling, we’ll be taking a break as well. Two things are for sure: we’ll be working on the house and we’ll be going to the state fair.

Monday and Tuesday, it was noses in the books.




Wednesday, we took school in the van. J

My mother wanted me to attend a financial advising appointment with her, and the location was about forty minutes away. Lots of time for study, not just as we traveled but in the waiting room as well.

After that appointment, she and her fiancé treated us to Cracker Barrel. Our current home-building budget doesn’t allow for eating out like that, so this was a real treat.



Have I told you my widowed 81yo mother is getting married? Here she is with her 72yo fiancé.


{The children had fun with the photo booth app on the iPad. J}

It’s been a rather emotional time for me, and I’ve wondered about blogging about it. Would you be interested? If so, any specific topics?

Thursday, we worked on wrapping up what we’ve accomplished in the past twelve days, making sure tests would be taken before a break and finalizing plans.


On the blog this week…



Building our home this week…

Built-in quadruple bunks are done…enough. They need a bit more polyurethane and the railing on the top bunks. But at this point, that doesn’t look like much more effort. J


Kitchen cabinets are in, and we’re contemplating countertop colors. We’ll probably go with a dark brown which will contrast nicely against the light grain of the cabinets.


Carpet has been ordered…in a darker beige than we’ve ever had. This photo doesn't do the color justice. I’m hoping it won’t show wear and tear as much. Six children calumping across it day after day? Whew! J


I won’t be writing Homeschool Mother’s Journal posts while we’re on break, but I do have some thoughts about homeschooling I’ve been waiting for the right time to share. Back-to-school time may just be it. J

Blessings to you this weekend!







How was your week?



Lilla Rose's August Flexi of the Month is here! Isn't the nautical theme snazzy?





~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket Missional Women


Pin It!

16 comments:

  1. The quad bunks look awesome! Will the other two children also be in the same bedroom? What about when they perhaps get older and want a bit more privacy? Does the new house have enough room for the kids to have 1-2 kids per room or just the bunk room? Just wondering, hope you don't mind my asking. :)

    The carpet and countertop sample look very nice. It is fun to pick out exactly what you want when building or remodeling.

    I would be interested in hearing your thoughts about your mothers upcoming marriage. I haven't been in that sitauation but imagine it would be very emotional for you..... thoughts of your father yet wanting your mother to be happy, etc.

    Have a wonderful weekend. I greatly enjoy your blog. While I don't have all of the same beliefs/practices as your family, you all seem like a loving and fun family, which is an encouragement to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the photo is a bit misleading, Mary. :-) We'll have a girls room and a boys room, each with the quadruple bunks, since we have three boys and three girls. We'll have one extra bunk in each room to act as a couch/futon/reading nook. We talked with the children as we planned the house and asked them about individual rooms or splitting up, and they all wanted one girls and one boys room. There will still be plenty of spaces for privacy.

      Thank you for your kind words. I'm not sure anyone shares all the same beliefs, when you get right down to the nitty-gritty. That's what makes life so interesting. :-) Thanks for reading and commenting, and have a good weekend!

      Delete
    2. Ah-ha! I get it now..... One room for boys and one for girls. I'm sure they will love it!

      Delete
  2. The beds are GREAT! I have seen pictures of those and always admired them. So nice to have some school days behind you already.... wow.... we haven't started yet... but we will hit the ground running when we do. :) Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We started early because we knew we'd be having the break time. Sounds like you're ready to get going. Have a great school year! :-)

      Delete
  3. I love the kitchen cabinets and countertop colors together! We are currently contemplating redoing our kitchen and the color choices just for flooring alone are dizzying!

    We faced a similar situation with my father-in-law after my mother-in-law's passing so I would be interested in hearing your experience as well.

    I love your blog and find a lot of inspiration here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement, Tina. I know what you mean about flooring. I suppose that's why we're going with all beige. It's easier, and everything goes with it. Take a deep breath, and try to enjoy the process. :-)

      Delete
  4. It's been forever since I have visited! Hi, again! Your house looks lovely! Those bunks - how awesome! We haven't even started school yet! 9/2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessy! Glad to have you back! :-) Many blessings to you as you start school next month!

      Delete
  5. I was also wondering about the bunks --- do you have another set in your boys room? These are really neat and sure save space. Kids would probably love the coziness of each having their own space.
    I've really been enjoying, watching your home-building journey. :)

    Congratulations to your Mother! Getting married at the age of 81 is quite amazing. I wish her happiness. Having a partner to love again, may give her more years to be here with you and your family. I wish peace for you. I can only imagine you would have mixed emotions. Especially depending on how long ago you lost your Dad. I would love if you would blog about it. It may also be therapeutic for you to do it.
    I admire you and your family and wish the best for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sue, one set in each room - one for boys and one for girls. As we get settled, they will personalize their space, perhaps paint or stencil, hang posters, fill their shelves with their books and personal items. They are sooo excited! Thanks so much for reading and for your kind comment! :-)

      Delete
    2. I'll tell you what.....I think a room like this with their own personal bunk sounds awesome! I can understand why they are so excited! I'm excited for them! I just know that they will have so much fun personalizing their own area and I can't wait to see pictures when they are all done. :)
      I wish I could have had one when I was a young girl!;) I feel gypped now! (just kidding) Maybe someday I will have a reading nook by a bay window or inside of a turret-type area. (like you see in some of the old Victorian homes) I always think little corners like that are so cozy-looking and dream of having one of my own. Did you incorporate something in your new home for yourself, Meghan, where you can retreat to and call it your own? I do hope so. All Momma's should have that. :) Especially home-schooling Mommas. :)

      Delete
  6. WOuld love to read more about your mom. We went through this years ago with my mother in law. Make sure everything is fixed legally for her children as well as his. Not always good if not.

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been so many different issues, from my surprise at a romance after over 52 years with my dad to understanding the desire for companionship to all the financial concerns in blending separate lives. Maybe I need a series? :-) If you have any suggestions for what to address, I would welcome them, Charlotte. Your comments are always spot-on.

      Delete
  7. Doesn't it feel amazing to have days checked off already on your homeschool calendar?! My husband has off all of June and July, but we snuck lots of trips and learning it. Seeing those days already marked off on our tracking calendar just feels like such a relief! Hope you have a fabulous and productive break!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those bunk beds look amazing!! Congrats on the cabinets I love those too! :) Have a great break and I hope you enjoy every minute of it!

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)