Tuesday, August 5, 2014

What To Do While You're Waiting

Patience can be sooo hard.

Can I get an amen? J

Waiting is good for us, though. In fact, it's part of God's plan.

My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.” ~ James 1:2-4

What kind of snarling, selfish, ego-centric people would we be if we got everything we wanted as soon as we wanted it? I don't want to be that sort of person, and I don't want to be around that sort of person.

There are a couple of big things I'm waiting on, one of which is the completion of our home-building project.
On what are you waiting?

Maybe you are a mother waiting for a child to potty-train. {Not that I have any experience with that....ahem.
J}
Maybe you're waiting for that baby to be born or for an adoption homestudy to be completed.
Maybe you are a student waiting for test results.
Maybe you don't feel well and you're waiting for a different sort of test result.
L




So how do we persevere? I can’t just sit around and stare at the wall, waiting. Okay, except for baby #2 when I had such severe back pain in my last month that all I could do was sit. J

What do we do while we’re waiting?

Keep praying, not just about what you're waiting for, but other concerns as well. Write them down. I would tell you to pray for patience, but you know what they say about that....and now I have six children. J

Keep working. Work on that house. Take that child to the bathroom...again. Keep at your day job and pile your income into savings for the baby's college fund. Keep studying. Keep writing.

Keep having fun. If it's possible, if it fits in your schedule and doesn't jeopardize your work or school, take a few hours off or an entire day. Go to a museum. Take a picnic to the park. Disappear into a book.

Keep at your hobbies, or start a new one. Get out all those scrapbook supplies you've tucked away and make something creative. {Come on, you know you have scrapbook supplies hidden for when you have more time. J} Paint. Sew. Garden. Bake. Wash the dog.

Keep eating chocolate. Well, you decide if this one is serious or not. J

Keep serving others/volunteering. Spending your time on others and their needs is one of the best remedies for taking our attention off ourselves. It also helps build gratitude for our own circumstances. I've been spending some time helping my mother sort through her finances. That's occupied my brain time as well as taken me to appointments and places I wouldn't normally go, all relieving some of my waiting-induced stress.

Keep living. That trip you've always wanted to take? That hobby you've always wanted to take up? That family down the street you've wanted to befriend? Why not do it now?


What do you do while you're waiting?











Love the colors, love the design, love the symbolism.




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket Missional Women


Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. My sweet friend, you need a comment!! I just "happened" upon your post. Not through linkups . . . I am too behind on my day for that. I found it to be such an encouragement. I am waiting on God for something that looks so dim and hopeless. Nevertheless, I press on and am doing lots of the things that you mentioned. You didn't mention writing, did you? I'm glad that you thought about chocolate. Seriouly, I was encouraged by your post to keep on keeping on. I don't sit either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judith! I was away from the computer all day and didn't get the chance to approve the comments, but thank you! I'm sure you're praying. And yes, keep blogging. :-)

      Delete
  2. I so needed this today....thank you for always being a source of encouragement and inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stacey! So many times these posts start simply as me trying to encourage myself. :-) It's a double blessing when it encourages someone else.

      Delete
  3. And GROW. Stay in the word and grow more like Christ. I think times of waiting may be tough, but they can be times of refreshment and spiritual strengthening...because trials will be here and there will be no waiting at that point! I often hear Christians say that it's hard to see God working when things are still and quiet, but I think those are great opportunities for us to read good books and grow closer to others. Waiting can be sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Gabby, definitely read good books and grow. Excellent point! Thank you for commenting. :-)

      Delete
  4. That is a great list and reminder of how to wait. I took up knitting while we were waiting for our UK visa (I didn't have my sewing machine and decided knitting was a bit more portable).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm smiling over your portable comment, Beth. Truth. :-)

      Delete
  5. Sweet post, Meghan. You have become so dear to me. Waiting ... oh, yes, keep in the Word. Writing and studying help me ... and usually when I'm a little stressed, I clean! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sweet, Shelli! :-) I'm so glad to call you my friend.

      Delete
  6. Waiting is always more time consuming than being busy. I loved the simple yet profound advice you shared. Sometimes when I am waiting I lose sight of what I need to be doing and then nothing gets accomplished. When I keep living or today, what I needed to hear from God's heart through you was to keep writing, then I put it back in God's hands and his capable timing. Thanks Meghan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect! It's so good to keep doing things while in a waiting period. I know I always feel progress is being made and my gratitude can grow when I'm focusing on other enjoyable living aspects of life! :)

    Swinging by from Mama Moments Mondays!

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)