Friday, August 15, 2014

Why and How of The Bible Bee {a tag team post by mother and daughters}

It all started with an innocent comment by my husband in the midst of Sunday dinner.

"I heard something on the radio this week about the Bible Bee. Do you realize how quickly children can memorize? Those Scriptures would stay with them for the rest of their lives."

This prompted me to look up the Bible Bee online, and I quickly discovered that the deadline for registration was the very next day, June 30! We don't usually make such fast decisions, but when we saw the enthusiasm of our oldest girls {not to mention that the location of the national competition is in Orlando J}, we jumped at the opportunity.


In fact, this is one of the primary reasons we homeschool. My husband and I want the Bible to be an everyday part of our children's learning. When we saw that this wasn't just memorizing verses but also learning some Greek and Hebrew in addition to an in-depth study of a book of the Bible, we knew it would be a wonderful supplement to our homeschool as well as our family devotions.

From the 14yo ~

This year we're studying Jonah. The ten weeks of in-depth study included ~
  • Writing out the entire book of Jonah.
  • Memorizing 24 different passages from both the Old and New Testaments.
  • Studying Greek and Hebrew words.
  • Looking up cross-references.
  • Learning about the cities of Joppa, Tarshish, and Ninevah then and now.
  • Learning about the man, Jonah, and his story, and his desperate need for anger management. J

Part of the requirement for the initial test is to recite ten of the 24 passages. My sister and I will be attempting that in front of our church’s Wednesday night congregation. I'm a little nervous but I think it will be good practice if we make it to nationals and have to participate in an oral test. I'm also a little excited...well, the entire Bible Bee has been exciting.

I plan to participate again next year! J




From the 12yo~

So far, my preparations have been pretty exciting, although it's taken a lot of time to study. I hope I do well on the test, even if I don't make it to nationals. The study has been really detailed, but I like that because it helps me notice things that I wouldn't normally notice.

Some of the verses are also really good, like Proverbs 18:10. "The name of The Lord is a strong tower. The righteous run to it and are safe."



Meghan again ~

The local test is Saturday, August 23. Out of thousands of participants, the top 120 scorers in each of three age groups will go on to nationals. No matter how the girls score, we're grateful for all the study they've willingly taken on this summer. J

Prayers for test day are appreciated! J

Will you join the challenge next year?












~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket Missional Women


Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. Wow! This is great! Thanks 12yo~! I've been meaning to do a search as to where this scripture is found and now you just answered my question!:) Proverbs 18:10. "The name of The Lord is a strong tower. The righteous run to it and are safe."
    There is a song that has these words in it which has been on my heart for days. Today, after finishing devotions I wanted to look it up, but had to run out the door fast. How amazing that I find it on your blog tonight! Do you know the song?
    The Bible Bee sounds awesome!
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wondering how the Bible Bee works for a while and this may motivate me to try it next year with my kids! What a neat opportunity! So glad to have read this! Stopping by from the Managing Your Blessings linky :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a wonderful experience for all the family, Heather. Go for it! :-)

      Delete
  3. That looks wonderful! I'll have to look it up next summer. I have a kid who is an amazing memorizer and loves a challenge!

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)