Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Six Reasons I Love My Big Family of Six Children

It never occurred to me, as a child, that big families were unusual.

I grew up listening to my mother’s stories of growing up as the middle of seven children. They were all the best of friends. When Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs premiered in 1937, around the time the youngest of the seven was born, the brothers and sisters even took on the names of the seven dwarves as their nicknames. {My mom was Sneezy because of her allergies.} Doesn't that sound fun? But I grew up with only one brother who was quite occupied with his own interests and friends.

When I was about ten years old, I determined that I wanted five or six children. {I don’t know why seven seemed like such an unmanageable amount then. But now? Bring it on, if the Lord wills. J} As the Lord would have it, I married a man who also, as a child, dreamed of having five or six children.


Voila! J

Don’t think that every moment has been heaven-on-earth, though. Heartbreak and fear have accompanied me along the way on occasion, like when I miscarried in between the first and second children and fretted that I may never have another or when the now-8yo fell on a straw and ended up in emergency surgery.

But all-in-all, it’s been even better than I dreamed. Here’s why.


1. There's always someone to talk to. Granted, when the children were small, that was not always the case. There's only so much conversation you can have with a two-year-old, even one who talks non-stop. But they grow up, and then there's as much conversation as you want. J

2. There's always someone to play with. I think I've said before on this blog that I've birthed the family I wanted when I was a child. So I don't just mean that the children always have someone to play with, although that is definitely true. I have someone to play board games or musical chairs or tickle with. I don't want to be a grown-up every second of the day. J

3. The children don't pine to be with friends. When we're on vacation or on a field trip or enjoying a holiday, our children are with their friends. They don't mope for a friend to share it all with.

4. There's always someone learning. Y'all know our love of learning. I cannot count the number of times per day that we're just plain learning. Not always school-type learning, although that definitely happens, but lessons on character and human behavior and the Bible.

5. There’s always someone to hug. For those of us who like physical touch, this is a huge plus.

6. I don't get lonely. As an introvert, I do need quiet time. But I also enjoy being with people that know me well and I know them well and we're comfortable together. Plus, when the quiet time comes, it's soooo sweet! J












~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket Missional Women


Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. Cute pic of the kiddos. Enjoyed this.

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Charlotte. It's a church directory picture, but I've never known a church directory photographer to do anything other than the traditional pose. We were pleased.

      Delete
  2. Lovely! Just lovely! You are so blessed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful picture of your children and you are definitely blessed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too blessed to be stressed, right, Rebekah? :-) Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Seriously love this, I always want to hear the perspective of moms with large families. I also only had a brother and always said I would have more than 2 children one day. I'm only at 2 right now and worry that I wouldn't be able to handle more, so I love hearing positives likes this :) Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adjusting to my second child was huge for me, Jessica. When my husband was at work, suddenly I was outnumbered. Once I got used to it and developed some strategies, the third child wasn't any big deal. :-)

      Delete
  5. your kiddos are so cute and loving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute kids. I have a big family, too, and it's nice to see individual friendships form between the children. Never a dull moment, I always say. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is posts like this that make me long for a large family, but the husband would like to stop with 4. (His parents had 8, his father had another 4. And he grew up in a household where they had trouble affording to feed everyone, and paying bills so that is something he wants to avoid.) I respect that, but part of me is thinking now that 4 may not even be the Lord's will for our life here. Anyway I wanted to say all that to say thank you for making these points.

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)