Friday, December 5, 2014

The One Where We’re Back to School for Two Weeks ~ Homeschool Week Wrap-Up

Happy Friday and Merry Christmas! J



I skipped last week's HMJ because we only did two days of school before Thanksgiving break. Truly, as much extra as they completed on Monday, there wasn't much left to do on Tuesday. J

As we gathered for family devotions last Sunday night, the children sagged with the anticipation of back-to-school the next day. It only took a brief pause and a moment of reflection, though, before the 15yo admitted, "I really do like learning all that stuff. All the reading and studying." Another pause, and the 13yo agreed. "I like school, too."

Their father and I nodded our heads in agreement. "You come by it honestly. I loved school, too. Still do." 



I'm really enjoying the variety of levels we have in our big family school. I grew up with only one brother, and we were only one grade apart. So it's a mind-bender sometimes to sit back and contemplate how many different ages and grades we have. I love how this photo {above} shows the youngest learning to use scissors next to the oldest who is working math problems involving binomial factors.

The third grader is at a point where she isn’t ready to move on to new material {especially with a break coming}, but she’s completed all the math curriculum we have. So, I’ve been printing off Christmas-themed math worksheets for her. They provide a good review and a bit of holiday excitement in an otherwise lifeless subject. J It’s mind-boggling how much you can find online for homeschooling!

And…when playing hide-and-seek, I discovered the 3yo can count to twelve! How did that happen? J



On the blog this week…



I’m reading…

My own writing. J I haven’t shared writing news here because, quite frankly, there hasn’t been much to share. I write and submit and wait.

But this week, I found out that a quiz I wrote about kindness is published in the December issue of Clubhouse Magazine from Focus on the Family!!!!! 




Also, if you’re interested in my writing contest history {novels}, I'm on the Seekerville blog today as the December Contest Diva. It's a great blog about writing with book giveaways every single day.


Building our home this week…

Laundry room cabinets were hung...with care...but not by the chimney!


We’ve put in closet shelving for the master bedroom closet, but we’re still working on the children's closets.

Now the task of organizing. How do I fit everything in? If I get rid of stuff {and I probably should}, why didn't I get rid of more BEFORE I moved it? I’ve been chastising myself all week over this. J

Window blinds arrived just before Thanksgiving. I chose a natural faux wood at a fairly reasonable price from Wal-Mart online. Did you know there was such a wide selection online for those super stores? The blinds were the same as at Menards and Home Depot, but why pay their prices when somewhere else is less expensive? In the end, the blinds turned out to be more of a honey oak, but that's okay. I’m quite pleased with them, which is huge for me. I usually agonize over decisions that I think are going to have to be for a lifetime. J



Now for some kind of decorative window treatment….


Have a spectacular weekend! J






How was your week?




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket Missional Women


Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Love reading your blog! Thanks for being a blessing to others!

    I am curious though if you'll share sometime what you use for homeschool curriculum. I am making some changes in our homeschool for next year and am shifting to utilizing more christian textbooks. I'd love to know what you're using and how you like them, sometime if you have time! ;) Again, thanks for sharing through your blog! It's been a blessing to me. :)

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)