Friday, December 12, 2014

The One Where We Plod Through until Break ~ Homeschool Week Wrap-Up

{My apologies, friend! As they say, you learn something new every day. Apparently, photos cannot be copied and pasted into Blogger. J I'm simply re-posting so that the post and the photos will reach my email subscribers. Thanks for your patience!}

Merry Christmas Break!


This week, we’ve hurried through the school work because Christmas Break is coming. A couple of extra lessons have been completed so that tests won’t hang over to January and a couple of papers put off until the day we return. In the meantime, the studying has been sweetened a bit with candy canes.




A cup of coffee always encourages this mama! J



I’ve been increasingly unhappy with our choice of literature curriculum for the ninth grader. She’s reading excerpts, not entire books, including stories from Winnie the Pooh. Seriously?? I love the classics and have a B.A. in Literature, so I’m toying with the idea of putting together my own high school literature curriculum. It sounds fun and challenging…but also time-consuming. In a brief google search, I found something that looked pretty terrific for a fairly reasonable price considering it covers four years. I think I’ll take the Christmas holiday to think and pray and talk with our school principal.

{A question for my homeschooling readers: If I put together a reading list/literature curriculum, is that something you would be interested in? Perhaps free for email subscribers? Or if I purchase something, would you appreciate a review? Thanks for your input!}




We’ve been watching the 15yo’s Christmas cactus bloom. It was a scrawny cutting from my mom’s plant. Then, not long after we brought it home, the pot tipped, and it lost some dirt. The 15yo has watered it fairly consistently, but I most definitely do not have a green thumb, so she was on her own. Now, I think she must have the green thumb of the family. Isn’t it a blessing to see your children’s gifts and interests emerge?

For nearly a month, we’ve been plodding through with only a glimpse of the sun a couple of times. We often wished it would snow, but at least the twinkle lights looked terrific.

Then Thursday…ta-da!! 


My Facebook post revealed my wonderment ~
“But soft! What light through yonder window breaks?” It is the sun, which we have so grievously mourned nigh upon three weeks. {Part Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, part me.}


On the blog this week…



I’m reading…

I skip around a lot during the holidays. Wednesday night, I finished Debby Giusti’s Mission: Christmas Rescue, a Love Inspired Suspense novella that’s part of the Holiday Defenders collection.

Thursday afternoon, I started Camille Elliot’s Regency novella, The Spinster’s Christmas, which is part of the  Mistletoe Kisses collection.


Building our home this week…

Still putting up closet shelving. J This week, the girls’ closet. The picture isn’t exciting, but you’ll see that we’re separating the closets into individual areas and hanging tons of extra shelving. {Oops…the other end of the closet, not in the photo, is all shelving from floor to ceiling.}



Have a terrific weekend! J






How was your week?




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket Missional Women


Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. Looks like a nice week, I am so looking forward to break as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Megan, I was curious about those photos. :) Studying with candy canes looks fun and festive! I'd be interested in your literature curriculum/reading list if you come up with one, we're just at the beginning of our home school journey, but as I've looked at some high school literature curriculum so far I haven't been impressed. Blessings for a wonderful Christmas season in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!!! Finally go to see the pics.

    GOD BLESS!!

    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would defiantly be interested if you put together a literature curriculum. My son is not in high school yet but it's coming fast. I will have to check out the title's you are reading as I am always looking for something new to read. My kids love candy canes. I think the pictures look very festive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Plod through until break--good way to put it!!! :) YES, would love to see your literature list or anything else you end up doing!!!! And I'm sure you're aware, but I have been very happily amazed at how many great classics are now free as public domain books on Amazon Kindle!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're plodding along too. I'm thinking next year we may just take all of December off and relieve some fo the stress for me! I'd be interested in the literature curriclum (whether your own or a review). We're still in middle school, but I'm already trying to formulate a plan for high school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your interest in the literature study, ladies! I apologize for my delayed response here. The flu has hit our house, mixed in with the usual Christmas busyness. My daughter and I are brainstorming, and I think we'll be starting an ongoing series on the blog in January. We're still thinking through details and getting more excited by the moment. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)