Friday, January 9, 2015

The One With Snow, Cold, and Cookies ~ Homeschool Week Wrap-Up

Happy Friday, and welcome winter! J Brrrrr!!


After much debate, we decided to return to school this week. With no snow on the ground as of Sunday night and my husband returning to work Monday morning, we thought it best to get more days logged. We have some time off we can take before Spring Break, but this week just didn’t seem to be the right time.

So, Monday, with no small effort, I managed to start the week well…with the Bible, coffee, and quiet in the stillness of dawn. What a difference that makes in the day!


The children straggled down the stairs {LOVE saying that! I’ve never lived in a house with stairs!} and pulled out their books and binders. They’re getting back to projects that had been put on the shelf for the holiday break, like this giant lapbook the 13yo is putting together on trees, specifically redwoods, sequoias, pines, and weeping willows.


Tuesday, the snow arrived, enough to need to shovel the driveway. The children were e-c-s-t-a-t-i-c!

Wednesday, the extreme cold set in. Yes, we have heat J, but it felt more cozy to wrap up in a fuzzy blanket. The local schools were on a two-hour delay, but we plunged ahead so we would have time to bake cookies. Of course, the oven helped warm the house. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking with it. J


In the evening, cookie-eating was put on hold while our resident math professor (aka Dad) helped the 15yo with factoring with a square of a polynomial.


The result ~     


Maybe the cookies helped? J Nah, I’m sure it was all Dad.

The 6yo just turned six over the Christmas holiday, and I resolved to get to work with him on phonics flashcards. He knows the alphabet well and some of the look and sounds of the letters. I discovered on Wednesday that he was looking at the number on the bottom of the flashcard to know how far he had to run through the alphabet mentally to find the right letter! I quickly decided he's wasting his time in the math readiness section of his workbook...before, after, and sequencing. On to the basics of addition and subtraction!


Last September, I started spelling tests for the then-8yo, and it was an incredibly stressful experience. She wanted to do well, but she doesn't remember well under pressure. I didn't pressure her. It was just her own pressure of wanting to do well. So, she continued through the fall, practicing each list of words. We talked about them and made them into sentences, but we skipped the tests. Thursday, we tried another test. She didn’t get them all right, but the test-taking was smooth and relatively stress-free.

I don't want testing to be a stressful and difficult experience for my children. Rather than push her through, I backed off and gave her some time to mature and develop. That has made all the difference.


On the blog this week…



I’m reading…

Home to Chicory Lane by Deborah Raney. I’m finishing it this afternoon, and then, tonight, I’m having supper with her! Deborah Raney! She’s teaching a special two-week course at a university about an hour away, so I’m driving up. I’m so looking forward to getting to know her a bit. I just hope I can remember my name! J


Have a terrific weekend, and I’ll see you next week with all my changes and the book giveaway! 






How was your week?


~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life AProverbs31Wife.com Missional Women MomsTheWord Homegrown Learners


Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. Lapbooks, homemade cookies, lessons with dad and warm blankets-- how can it get any better? :-) Sounds like a fabulous week. I would love if you came by and linked up with My Week in Review. http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2015/01/my-week-in-review-19.html Have a great weekend, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a wonderful week, Lisa, and of course it helps that we love winter. :-) I've linked up, and thank you so much for your efforts on your blog and your link-up!

      Delete
  2. I guess the roads are all passable if you are driving an hour away. Enjoy!!

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't get the snow last night that was predicted, Charlotte, so the roads look good. I am hoping for a table near the fireplace, though. :-)

      Delete
  3. It looks like you had a great week. What fun photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank God for math-savvy dads. LOL My husband does Algebra I with our son every evening after dinner. I don't know what I'd do without him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that! :-) Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  5. Isn't it awesome to start a day with The Word and quiet? It just eases into the day so wonderfully! Seeing those giant trees in on my Bucket List.Baking on cold days and nights warms the belly and the home! I try to do most of my bread baking and sweets on those days! Cozy! Happy belated birthday to 6yo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baking warms the belly -- I like how you put that, Jessy. :-) Thanks so much for commenting, and have a terrific week! Blessings to you!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)