Friday, January 16, 2015

The One of Semester Exams ~ Homeschool Week Wrap-Up

Happy Friday! J Can you believe we’re halfway through January already? Are you writing 2015 easily yet?


This week has felt particularly school-ish. Of course, we have school nearly every week, but this week seemed to press on us. It all started last Friday with a little friendly competition….

The 6th grade 11yo boy: "I have eight chapters to study in history and four chapters to study in science before my tests next week. Can you beat that?"
The 9th grade 15yo girl: "Actually, I can. I have eight chapters in health, nine chapters in science, six units in literature, and twelve units in language."
Me: "Why don't you spend less time discussing who has more to study and actually study?"

This week, the ninth-grader, seventh-grader, and sixth-grader have been taking semester exams, tests that cover all the material they've learned thus far. It's been a lot of quiet study and hot chocolate in the twinkle of the Christmas lights.



At the end, the three Bigs figured out their mid-year grade averages. Although all earned As and Bs (no disclosures as to who earned what, per their request J), they have strengthened their resolve to improve their scores. Next week, we'll relax a bit with a field trip. Whew!

In the midst of all the testing, the 3yo has been whiny and clingy all week, perhaps due to a rather scary game of hide and seek with Daddy. Although I don’t like to see him feeling scared, it hasn’t been all bad because he's been cuddly. {You know what I mean, moms! J} The real problem came when I was trying to fix supper, but the solution was a big-brother-read-aloud, complete with voices and sound effects.


The 6yo continues with his workbook phonics exercises of identifying pictures that begin with particular sounds. The pictures for the letter Q included a fish. When I made the sound of Q and asked him if fish begins with Q, he asked me, “What kind of fish is it?” I'm beginning to get a glimpse of this child's eye for detail. J




On the blog this week…

My big change…at least, it felt like a big change to me. J I’m looking forward to the literature study that starts next week and the Lawyer Mom posts I’ve been brainstorming.


You can still click over and enter in the drawing for a novel, Between Us Girls, through Sunday evening.


Finishing our home this week…

A lot has happened since Christmas Break!

We finally installed an oven as well as the final cast iron kitchen sink with the extended countertop. We still need to hook up the dishwashers, but that won’t take long.



Pantry shelving, too! This weekend, we’re finally getting the kitchen organized!



Prayers for a wonderful weekend!









How was your week?



~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life AProverbs31Wife.com Missional Women MomsTheWord Homegrown Learners


Pin It!

11 comments:

  1. Great job on the tests! I do know what you mean about being cuddly. Alas, they grow too fast! Congrats on getting the house finished up too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's going to be four soon, so I'm getting all the cuddles I can, Jenni. :-) So good to see you here!

      Delete
  2. The testing and good school week sound satisfying. :) I love that your children are working on the project in the kitchen also... that is great. Thank you for sharing your week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could not have built this house without the entire family working together. :-) They've learned so much and have enjoyed just about every part of it. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. Nothing like home remodeling while trying to do school. I have some planned for this weekend. Seems like you had a really productive week. I'm visiting from Weekly Wrap Up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just like life to be crazy, I guess? :-) Thanks so much, Nita, for visiting, and I hope to see you again!

      Delete
  4. Always good to get evaluations done and have them motivate the kids! And yay for progress toward the finished kitchen, that will be so nice to have done I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Tristan! I'm eager to see how this motivation plays out in the rest of the year.... :-) The kitchen still needs a bit of work, but to have it functional is wonderful.

      Delete
  5. Exciting to get this final things finished in the house. Enjoy those cuddles. They are gone way too soon.

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe he's going to be four soon! Sigh.

      Thanks, Charlotte, and have a terrific week!

      Delete
  6. Your new sink looks great and I'm sure you are enjoying those pantry shelves now.

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)