Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Trim Down for the New Year {and I don’t mean weight loss}

Ahh…a new year. The older I get, the more I cherish this time of year. A time of reflection on the year past. A time of evaluation of accomplishments. A time to look forward and dare to dream for the future. A time of list-making. {For me, though, it’s always a time for list-making. J}

I’m still thinking and praying about the one-word phenomenon, and I don’t want to set myself up for failure with resolutions.

But I wonder how many of us would benefit in 2015 from trimming down…and I don’t mean weight loss. J




Let’s trim down on criticism. How much does it really matter that someone’s style is different from ours or we would not choose for ourselves a hair color someone else has chosen or that someone drinks Coke? Let’s use words that uplift and edify. We could all use more encouragement.

“Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers.” ~ Ephesians 4:29

Let’s trim down the self-deprecation. No one can belittle us as much as we can belittle ourselves. Let’s stop that. Now. I am fearfully and wonderfully made. So are you.

“I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well.” ~ Psalm 139:14

Let’s trim down the entertainment. Movies, television, video games, whatever. For me, it’s movies. They’re wholesome and acceptable and relaxing every once in a while, but couldn’t I be doing something else?

“Give her of the fruit of her hands, and let her own works praise her in the gates.” ~ Proverbs 31:31

Let’s trim down the excess activities and goals. I love the idea of scrapbooking, but I don’t have time for that. Sewing? Probably only what’s necessary. But writing is a call I must follow, even if it means not sewing my own quilted purse. {I got a Vera Bradley for Christmas! J} That’s just me, though. You need to do whatever God has called you to do.

“So teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.” ~ Psalm 90:12

Let’s trim down on excessive spending. How many purses/scarves/flower pins/pot holders/fill-in-the-blank does one person need? Something new is invigorating, every once in a while, and I could definitely have chosen a half-dozen Vera Bradleys. But for me, it’s best to stay home and stay off Amazon. J

“Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content….” ~ Philippians 4:11


Care to join me?






What do you need to trim down? Want to talk about it?



~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket Missional Women


Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. This is food for thought for sure. I guess my biggest trim down needs to be not as much spending on our 3 year old great granddaughter. It took 42 years for a girl to get in my immediate family and PINK has been my passion. HA!!!

    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great granddaughter, Charlotte? Hard to resist the pink. I can't blame you for indulging! Many, many blessings to you and your family in the new year! :-)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing. That's helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could definitely practice more restraint when it comes to time spent on the internet! I'm especially trying to work on using the library more or reading what I already own in 2015 ... books are such a temptation to me and everyone online always has such great suggestions that I think I *have* to have! I know what you mean about the Vera Bradley purses too! You'll love yours -- I've had mine for a year now and it's my favorite purse by far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Tina! I love the connections I've made on Facebook, but it's so easy to let time slip away there on posts that aren't even from my friends. Books are terrific, though...food for the mind...as long as I don't let other responsibilities slide. :-) Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. I could definitely use a trim down on the sarcasm and criticism...I really don't like that about myself! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm impressed with your honesty, Sarah! That can be a tough thing to admit, but I'm sure we all struggle. Praying for you, friend!

      Delete
  5. Great post.
    I need to trim down in many areas as well. As hard as it is to write, I need to slow the purchasing of books. I very seldom spend over a dollar or two a book as I buy from thrift stores and off the library sale rack, but I already have 7 book shelves so I have room for no more!
    Hope this year goes well for you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the price is right, Amber, but I completely understand the shortage of book shelves! :-)

      Blessings to you in the new year!

      Delete
  6. Our plan is to cut back to basic cable next month. There is no need to spend as much time and money on TV as we do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good plan! We gave up broadcast television about twelve years ago when the companies were changing to the point where we couldn't use our antennae and would have to pay for the service. We've never looked back! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)