Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Five Favorite Items to Shop for at the Thrift Store

Raise your hand if you love a good bargain!

The chain thrift stores in our area have a half-price day on the first Saturday of every month.

Half price? Wowza! I thought their regular prices were terrific, but when I heard about this monthly phenomenon a year or so ago, I felt like doing a cartwheel.

So now my two oldest daughters and I have an almost-monthly Girls Shopping Day. We drive to two, sometimes three, of the best stores in our area, list in hand of what we’re looking for that month. {Of course, we need refreshment while we’re out…. J}

These are our favorite items ~

Denim skirts. My shopping time is limited. There is no possible way I can get to all the stores where denim skirts may be sold, and I certainly can’t pay their full price. But the thrift store brings together all sorts of brands and offerings. Voila! We can usually find good quality denim skirts at the thrift store.


Books, especially the classics. I love a pretty, pristine outside and cover as much as the next book lover. But the words are still the same on the inside. On half-off day, we can get paperbacks for thirty-five cents. Now if they would just sell bookshelves. J




Organizing accoutrements. It's only recently that I finally clued in that organizing a drawer is like putting together a puzzle. I don't have to have custom-made dividers made by the cabinet company {although they're beautiful!}. On our last shopping day, we didn’t find anything usable. But the time before that, I found a wire silverware organizer that now holds my perpetual calendar pieces, receipts I need to keep, and office supplies, as well as a small wire basket for the girls' pony tail holders.




Throw pillows. This is another new one for me, but I recently purchased a couple of throw pillows that are in good shape...for the purpose of recovering them. They were less than two dollars. White pillow forms made especially for covering are outrageously expensive. Try ten to fifteen dollars expensive! But as long as I'm covering them with a fabric that won't let the original design show through, who's to know?




Dishes. Can you believe a plate costs only fifty cents on half-off day? On our last shopping trip, we saw many beautiful and perfectly functional dishes, including serving platters. I didn’t need anything, so I didn’t buy anything. But my oldest daughter determined that when the time comes for her to set up her own housekeeping, she’s going to mix and match thrift store dishes with one color theme. It sounds beautiful and unique, and I wish someone had helped me think of that years ago.










What’s your favorite item to shop for at the thrift store?



~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life AProverbs31Wife.com Missional Women MomsTheWord Homegrown Learners Hip Homeschool Moms


Pin It!

14 comments:

  1. Good list, Meghan! Hands down, my favorite thrift store finds are books. I keep telling myself that some time, I'm going to pick up a full set of Christmas china. (In fact, now would be the right time to start keeping my eyes open for that, wouldn't it?!)

    Now, when it comes to the antique store (which may or may not have anything to do with thriftiness, depending on the booth), I love to look for vintage photos and postcards that I can write about. Those aren't exactly splurges (usually $1-3), but they aren't quite necessities either.

    Side note on drawer organization: I found that an ice cube tray solved all kinds of woes in my kitchen drawer where the twist ties, bread tabs, rubber bands, and miscellaneous dillies all land. Perfect compartments for tiny items that scatter everywhere. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Brandy!! My daughters and I found a good-size set of Christmas china on our last trip. It was in excellent shape except the red ornaments on the abstract Christmas tree were rather pink. Not so much red. I was disappointed I couldn't use it. :-)

      Those old photos are fascinating. We have a number of antique stores in town, and I've never been. Perhaps our next destination for Girls Shopping Day?

      Thanks for the tip on ice cube trays. I'll keep my eyes open.

      Delete
  2. I love thrift store shopping as well :) I find I get overwhelmed by the amount of books and no organization to them so I pass over them. It would save me a lot of money if I would just spend the time. I do go to a thrift store that has children's books for 5 cents on Mondays. I do get many of those. Have a wonderful day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter is gasping at passing over books, Penny. :-) I understand the frustration with no organization, though, and that 5 cent Monday sounds amazing! Have a great week!

      Delete
  3. I love thrift stores. I try to go every week. There is one that on Monday's the color tag is only .99 cents. I enjoy your blog so much thank you and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, .99 cents sounds great, Sara Mae! Thank you so much for your kind comment. :-)

      Delete
  4. We also love to look for books at thrift stores! Half-price day at Goodwill is the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every book in that photo was .35 cents on half-price day at Goodwill this month, Deb. Can't beat that! :-)

      Delete
  5. *Raises hand! When we talk about going "shopping" we are actually referring to "thrifting". My older daughters have carried on the tradition. With a large family of 12, we go through bowls like most people go through rolls of paper towels--haha! Our local GW Boutique (aka Goodwill) has a 1/2 price sell monthly and guess where we go to stock up on bowls?! I love this list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cheryl! Our family isn't quite as big as yours, but I've been wondering recently if we need more bowls as well. Maybe spoons, too. Yes, Goodwill is the place! :-)

      Delete
  6. We don't have "sale" days or tags at the charity shops here in Northern Ireland but I still love them. My little boy (3YO) loves to go to the "tarity" shop and buy *more* books and Mama loves to grab a bargain of quality skirts for a fraction of the retail price. I managed to get my Mum almost all of Agatha Christie's novels as a student just by continually being on the search. Older books (especially children's ones) tend to be meatier so I'd rather shop used :) Love the post (as usual) Meghan. Blessings on your family in your new home-have you considered an area of stacks like a library - I know I have! G

    ReplyDelete
  7. I smiled at your daughter's wish for a mixture of dishes. That is precisely what my Mama has. As we shop thrift stores and garage sales, she finds ones that she likes and mixes and matches them all. Her table is always set so creatively and so beautifully as a result. She hosts a women's group a few times a quarter and last time one of the ladies remarked that she had never seen the same table service twice! Mama said she just had to smile. - My "go-to" thrift store items are skirts, dresses and skirts for my daughter, and serving dishes and platters. I am, by no means, a talented cook or baker but I love to set things out beautifully. I feel so blessed to have married a man that is a wonderful cook and that he allows me to arrange things nicely once they are cooked. - Stay warm this weekend! We live south of Indianapolis and spent last night and this morning thawing out our frozen pipes. We are looking forward to some warmer weather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect timing, today is half price day at GW Boutique (Goodwill). The book prices are amazing! And we are always surprised with our great finds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Right now it's flannel shirts for the "red neck" boy and UnderArmour apparel for the 4H guy who wants to be warm in the barn. What a fun post!

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)