Friday, February 20, 2015

Fighting Colds, Bitter Temperatures, and a Day Off ~ Homeschool Week Wrap-Up

Happy Friday! J Is it cold enough? Brrr!!



So, it’s that time of year. We’ve been fighting colds for over a week. We managed regular school all last week and on Monday, although we were working around boxes of Kleenexes and Vicks and snuffles and sneezes.

It all started with the 6yo nearly two weeks ago. I'm pretty sure he picked this up at the library. He was playing in the Lego area when another little boy, snuffling and wheezing, came to play. The two boys spent all of about three minutes together, during which the other little boy sneezed on my boy. We're talking a full-out, mucus-flying, grab-an-umbrella sneeze. Two days later, my boy is sick.

Rewind about twenty years, to the time before children, when I was working full-time as a Legal Assistant but before I started law school. I had similar symptoms and felt absolutely miserable. I had some sick days left at work and gave in to the temptation to stay home and baby myself. I laid on the couch and napped, drank plenty of fluids, and stayed warm. Two days later, I was my normal self, which says a lot because colds usually hit me hard and linger for a week.

My mom, a nurse for more than forty years, made an off-the-cuff comment that has stuck with me for years. "If everyone would just stay home for a day or so when they feel a cold coming on, we'd have a lot less sickness."

Hmmm.....




By Tuesday, we needed a day off. Call it what you want, a mental health day, a sick day, a vacation day. It was overdue. The children slept in. They read. They played with Legos. They drank hot chocolate and watched snow flurries. They watched Veggie Tales.






Wednesday, the temperatures plunged. Thank the Lord for homeschooling! We stayed in and had a regular day of school. I prayed for the safety of my husband. He said that on his way out of work in the afternoon he could tell that it was much colder than it had been in the morning. The car was sluggish in the cold, and we were all glad to see him home safe. Church was cancelled L but we had a nice family evening in, grateful for the warmth of our home.

And...just when we thought it couldn't get any colder, we woke up Thursday morning to a temperature of minus four. As a family, we like the cold. But as the one who pays the bills, I'd rather not see the heat bill that will result from these kinds of temperatures.

We bundled up, though, with scarves and hoods and extra leggings, desperate to get out of the house for our regular library day. The 15yo needed to do some research, and some books were due back.

So, our week was simply regular life but at minus four degrees. At what temperature does mucus freeze? J






On the blog this week…




My monthly contribution to Blessed at Home also posted on Thursday. Blessed at Home is a wonderful series by my friend Judith at Wholehearted Home. Within the theme for February of Romance in Marriage, I wrote about the greatest love of all. Guess Who?

But wait, there's more! Wholesome Reads is featuring my series on Little Women. If you want some ideas on good, wholesome reads for your family, check out her blog.



Prayers for a wonderful weekend, friend!









How was your week?




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life AProverbs31Wife.com Missional Women MomsTheWord Homegrown Learners Hip Homeschool Moms


Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Taking a day off is nice sometimes. Loved your writing on Blessed At Home. Hope this doesn't come through twice. Tried sending earlier but no luck. Computers can be aggravating at times. Ha!!

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so ready for the bitter cold and snow to be gone. My little ones are driving me crazy because they can't run around outside. Sometimes I get them to run up and down are stairs a few times or run laps around our lower level just to help them use up all the excess energy.
    I'm glad the sickness didn't hit you for too long. We have eight children so I know what it's like - when one gets something, it works its way through the whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too feel grateful my kids don't have to go out in the bitter cold for school. Although, the local school actually cancel for inclement weather. I also pray safety, but for now I pray safety as my husband is out in a very dangerous part of the world working. We shall see him in 65 days, Lord willing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying that you all get over your colds quickly and stay healthy. Being from North Dakota, we are used to cold temperatures. The bill for heat gets expensive, but so does the electricity bill in the summer for air conditioning. North Dakota is a land of weather extremes! -4 doesn't even sound too bad, as long as there isn't wind! My least favorite thing about cold temperatures is when it is also windy. We are actually having a "heat wave" with the high temp of 35 degrees today. Back down to a high of 9 for tomorrow though. I'm going to enjoy a weekend scrapbook retreat with friends so I don't care what the weather is, it will be cozy with us all together. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many blogging friends have sick families right now! Hopefully everyone in your household are feeling spiffy and well again! We all need days off to refresh! A perk of homeschooling! It's been super chilly here! Heating oil takes all my extra money but I do enjoy a house heated to 60 degrees! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes those days off are so necessary. I am glad you all were able to stay warm.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)