Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Three Essentials for a Family Movie Night #FCBlogger

{This post is sponsored by Family Christian. All opinions are honest and my own.}

I haven’t posted before about movies because, quite frankly, we don’t watch much. Also, my husband and I are particular about what we watch and what the children watch. When we do watch a DVD, we usually make it a family movie night with these three essentials.

A good movie. I know, that one’s a given. We look for movies that appeal to all ages, not necessarily in every scene, but in the overall tone.

Snacks. Oh, yeah. Popcorn. Orange slices. Throw in some carrots to make it feel healthy. Don’t forget the M&Ms.

Conversation. What? J Yes, conversation. We often talk through the movie, sometimes even hitting the pause button to discuss an important point with the children. We’ll discuss the motivations of a character (good and bad); the setting, particularly if there are historical points to learn; and what might happen next.

With a good movie, moral lessons can abound! Don't just stare at the screen, letting that gray matter congeal. Use it as an opportunity to grow closer to your children, to teach morals or character or manners, and to relax.

These three essentials are why I was happy to watch The Adventures of Mickey Matson and the Copperhead Treasure.


{I don’t understand the scary spider on the cover. There was no spider in the movie. J}

It’s a National Treasure-style story for middle grades full of cool and unexpected clues, danger (but nothing really scary), and history.

The story is about a classic underdog in good versus bad. Mickey Matson is a seventh-grader whose parents love him but they aren't sure he's ready for responsibility. Maybe they're not ready to let him have responsibility? His girl cousins are bad-mannered and make fun of him, and we all liked how they were portrayed as rude while watching videos on their phones during the funeral. Mickey’s greatest champion, his grandfather, passed away right before the beginning of the story but left him a clue to a great treasure.

The story moves along at a terrific clip, but great sounds bites are interspersed as well, quotes we repeated to our children.

"My grandpa taught me that doing the right thing usually isn't easy." ~ Mickey Matson

Comic relief comes from the most unlikely set of characters, which only adds to the humor. And my literature-major-nerdy-side cheered when the heroine said to villain, "Your grammar is terrible." J

Apart from a couple of mentions of "Oh my gosh", I appreciated the themes of doing right in the face of wrong, patriotism, and respect.

Don’t take my word for it. What did my children think?

The 15yo ~ “All the different clues were really neat, the way they worked together. I liked the ending when it seemed that Mickey had been given only one….” Spoiler!

The 13yo ~ “I liked the mystery, the treasure hunt. I also liked how smart the girl was.”

The 11yo ~ “It was really cool when….” Oops! Spoiler! J

And the last comment? “When can we watch it again?”








What do you look for in a family movie? What are your favorites?



~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life AProverbs31Wife.com Missional Women MomsTheWord Homegrown Learners Hip Homeschool Moms


Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like an interesting movie, it is so hard to find ones that are suitable, thank you for sharing. Have a blessed Easter and a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Terri, and we were quite pleased with this movie. Many Easter blessings to you and yours! :-)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing the movie! My kids and I have a similar thing we do after we watch a movie. Each child and adult watching lists 2-3 (depending on age of participant) positive and then 2-3 negative things that they saw in the movie. After the things are named, we go into discussion and I try to point as many things as possible back to Christ. God bless!!

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)