Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Godly Mothers Have Never Been More Crucial -- #FCBlogger

{This post is sponsored by Family Christian. All opinions are honest and my own.}

It's not often that a non-fiction book grabs my attention. I gravitate toward story and the truths gleaned through others' experiences. Some of the parts of the Bible that speak most to me are the parables that Jesus told.

But when I had the opportunity to review Marina Slayton's nonfiction book Be the Best Mom You Can Be, I knew it would most likely be a keeper.


I have often thought of writing a book on mothering, what I've learned in my fifteen years and through six children. Something that could be offered through the blog. But Marina Slayton beat me to it. With just a couple of minor differences in opinion, this is the book I would write.

She addresses so many topics relevant to mothering in today's dangerous world along with generous allotments of encouragement and helpfulness. Here are a few chapter titles and subdivisions with a couple of quotes.

Love Is the Foundation {YES!!}
"Children are born with an innate ability to look for love in the right place: their parents. But if we reject our own children, what will they do as teens and adults? They will seek love in all the wrong places. Kids are not fooled. They can discern when the people who are supposed to love them most do not."

A United Family: Building Belonging
"How do we as parents give our children the strength they need to put love and wisdom into practice? The truth is that the sense of belonging that comes from a strong family will be a fountain of strength for each of our children for their entire lives."

Breaking Generational Curses: Wholeness Is Possible
"By giving in to a curse like favoritism, we are also depriving our children of one of the most important relationships of their lives: the sustaining friendship of their siblings. There is no one like your brother or sister with whom to share memories, laugh about old stories, and smile over past experiences. These qualities make brothers and sisters potentially the best friends anyone could ever have."

The Dangers of the Electronic World
"Kids need to learn how to spend the day productively apart from electronics, and they should be steered to satisfying activities and entertainment."

Many times I said out loud, "Amen, sister!" Then, I looked around to see if anyone had heard me.
J

Like I said, I love story. I think this book could have benefitted from a few more personal stories or examples, either the author's or someone else's. But the stories that were included were gasp-worthy and convicting.

If you want some solid direction and encouragement in your mothering, this is the book for you.












~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life AProverbs31Wife.com Missional Women MomsTheWord Homegrown Learners Hip Homeschool Moms


Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, thank you so much for sharing!! I will read it - as a mother of only 2.5 years I am in such a need of some guidance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an excellent book. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review. Hope you all have a great summer!

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review. Hope you all have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)