Thursday, July 30, 2015

All I Ask Is That You Try ~ Five Minute Friday

Five Minute Friday, hosted by Kate Motaung, sounded like so much fun that I decided to take up the challenge to write for five minutes without editing. Every Thursday evening, Kate posts the topic of the week, and the community then free writes. In her words, this means “no editing, no over-thinking, and no worrying about perfect grammar or punctuation.” See? A challenge for this perfectionist! J

This week’s word is TRY.

Ready? Here we go.

As I sit contemplating this Five Minute Friday prompt, the 13yo sits in the chair on the other side of the room, her Bible Bee study materials resting in her lap. She peruses a picture book we just brought home from the library today, taking a break from studying.



The 15yo stares hard at her Bible, a combination of study and meditation focused in her features.


The 11yo is next to me, relaxed and secure in what he studied earlier today.

The Bible Bee local test is this Saturday. The top 120 scores in each division get to compete at Nationals in November in San Antonio, Texas.

It’s a worthy goal. We went to Nationals last year, and it was one of the highlights of the year, an incredible experience of being surrounded by families who value the Word of God and let it show in their lives.

But this mama’s goal for the children was for them simply to try. Try their best. Do their best to study God’s Word and hide His Scripture in their hearts.

Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines try as to make an attempt or effort to do something.

My prayer is that if my children attempt Scripture memorization and study, it will take hold deep in their souls, changing them and making them into the people God would have them to be.


The end.









Could I ask a favor? If you think of it, could you pray for the children all over the country who are taking the Bible Bee test on Saturday, please? A lot of time and effort are being poured into that one-hour exam, and I pray that the children who participate would remember it as a positive experience and that the scriptures memorized would be hidden in their hearts. Thanks, friend.




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life AProverbs31Wife.com Missional Women MomsTheWord Homegrown Learners Hip Homeschool Moms


Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Hi! I have never heard of the Bible Bee before! Good luck to your kiddos! Tell us how they do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lord, I ask in humility that you make manifest your Loving Presence for those taking the Bible Bee test on Saturday. Please give each of them the confidence that they made their best effort, and place in their faithful, striving hearts the secure knowledge that your Love is with them always. Let their learning be an anchor for their lives, and a beacon for their friends and classmates who do not yet know You. Amen.

    Great post, Meghan. They're lucky kids. They've got God, and they've got YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  3. will be praying concerning this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have so much admiration for your 13yo applying again this year for the Bible Bee after not placing last year when her sister did. She always strikes me as the most lovely and gentle-natured of your children (I think you feel that too, which is where I get that idea from) and I'm sure that one day that soft quality is going to make a strong impact! Good luck and thoughts to all of your children taking part. Bon courage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job with your free write! I will be glad to pray for all these kids taking this test. How exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed peeking into your family today :-) Thanks for having me over!

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)