Monday, July 13, 2015

Eight Reasons We Still Love the Abeka Curriculum for Our Homeschool

Two years ago, I wrote a post about why we love the Abeka curriculum. I do look at other curriculum from time to time, thinking and praying about a change. But our oldest is beginning tenth grade, and we’re still happy with all Abeka. Here's why.

{First a caveat. From kindergarten through third grade, we use an assortment of materials, mostly Hooked on Phonics, Hooked on Math, a basic manuscript penmanship book, and Abeka science and history texts we simply read aloud and discuss. I use this time to foster a love of reading and learning without the pressure of tests. As we work through the materials together, I can tell which areas need more work and which are being conquered.}


All the subjects are covered. This includes the grade-appropriate levels of language, reading/literature, arithmetic, penmanship, spelling, history/geography, and science/health. I can be confident that the children are learning what is necessary.

We can vary as much as we’d like. The workbooks provide an abundance of practice, so I often cross out supplemental problems, especially when a child has already mastered the concept. We typically turn poster projects into lapbooks and research assignments into field trips. Sometimes we’ll even add in something completely supplemental, based on the children’s interests.

It provides stability and predictability. My husband’s work schedule is irregular, changing from semester to semester and even from day to day. Some mornings we have opportunity to breakfast together, and other mornings he’s gone before the children are up. Despite this, the children know what the day will hold, at least for general school requirements and their chosen order of subjects.

The children can be independent. The Bigs {approximately grade five and up} don’t need to wait for me to tell them what to do. They can pull out the lessons plans and books and plow ahead. The independence of the Bigs gives me time to work with the Littles.

The texts are easy-to-read with vivid color photos, images, and maps. They make reading and learning interesting.


Abeka is reusable. For all of the tenth grade materials {not the DVD program or enrollment in the academy, just the parent kit and the student kit}, I spent approximately $500. In future years, I will only need to buy three consumable workbooks as each child passes through that grade, costing from $50 to $70 per child.

The texts are consistently Christian. My children are learning about the theory of evolution, but creation is taught as fact. The dangers of drug and alcohol use are covered at appropriate ages, and the students are admonished that their bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit. Texts and workbooks are peppered with Scripture.

The academy is there if we decide we need it. We’re still learning about creating high school transcripts and the requirements in our state. But if we should decide that our children need to be “enrolled” in a school that issues a diploma and transcripts, that opportunity is there.








What is your favorite curriculum and why?


~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life AProverbs31Wife.com Missional Women MomsTheWord Homegrown Learners Hip Homeschool Moms


Pin It!

13 comments:

  1. We are using A Beka this year in literature and Health. Thanks for sharing your reasons for enjoying this curriculum. I like to do a very eclectic approach, but we are mostly Charlotte Mason in style.
    blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many blessings to you in your homeschool year, Dawn! :-)

      Delete
  2. Reading with interest...for preschool years, things are more free-flowing, but I'm looking at various curricula to try once we get into the elementary grades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are definitely more free-flowing in the early grades and love the flexibility!

      Delete
  3. I still have a couple of years to go before starting homeschooling, but I'm already reading as much as I can about different programs and curriculums. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you in being prepared, Bibi! I wish I'd had all these resources when we started, but that was a decade ago. Not so many blogs or even curriculum choices. I'm happy to pass on what we've learned. :-)

      Delete
  4. We are beginning our 4th year of the Ambleside Online curriculum. It's a free, classical Charlotte Mason-based curriculum. And it fits our family perfectly. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Free, Lisa? Nice! I'll have to look into it. :-)

      Delete
  5. I loved this! We will be starting homeschool this coming year (K and 3rd) and I have been completely overwhelmed with curriculum choices. I have been leaning towards Abeka and after this I'm pretty sure that's what will do. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found it helpful, Nicole. Blessings on your homeschool! :-)

      Delete
  6. Hey Meghan,

    Good morning. I came over on Hearts for the Home today, and I'm glad to read your post.

    I love Abeka as well. As both a former classroom teacher and a homeschool mom, I used Abeka in many subjects. I especially liked their spelling and grammar books. Some of the math books were great as well. I liked them for some of the same reasons you do - the look and feel, the content, and the prices were all good.

    My kids are in college now, but I still wish I could order curriculum! I love this time of year~

    Hope you have a blessed day,
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you stopped by, Melanie! Isn't it a wonderful feeling to open a new box of school books? Thank you for your endorsement of Abeka. When former teachers like a particular Christian curriculum, it makes me even more sure of my choice. :-)

      Delete
  7. this is my 3rd year homeschooling... I love ABEKA because it is very straightforward... this year, my 2nd, 3rd, and 5th graders are going to do the Abeka DVD program...
    I'm from Indiana, also, I'm concerned that if our governor changes, we may not have as much freedom as we have in years passed. I like that I can easily switch into Abeka Academy if necessary (but let's hope we won't have any of those issues!)... thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)