Friday, August 28, 2015

I’m Never Alone in a Big Family ~ #FiveMinuteFriday

Five Minute Friday, hosted by Kate Motaung, sounds like so much fun that I decided to take up the challenge to write for five minutes without editing. Every Thursday evening, Kate posts the topic of the week, and the community then free writes. In her words, this means “no editing, no over-thinking, and no worrying about perfect grammar or punctuation.” See? A challenge for this perfectionist! J

This Friday’s word is ALONE.

Ready? Here we go.

When I was a child I spent a lot of time alone. I grew up with one older brother, and we were so different from each other that we typically weren’t the best of companions. We would play together occasionally, but I mostly found myself reading, writing stories, roller skating, or playing with my toys…alone. Girls would move in and out of the neighborhood, and they were fun. But there was no one there all the time.

That actually had a lot to do with my desire to have a big family. Growing up, I wanted to be in a big family. Brothers and sisters to play with. To talk to. To giggle into the night with. To read with. To get into trouble with. J Brothers and sisters who were there all the time.


I have to be the parent now, but I finally have my big family. Six children, ranging from fifteen years old down to four years old, and a husband who can be just about any age. J

Sure, I have moments of alone-ness. Sometimes I leave my husband with the children and sneak off to the library to read or shut myself in the den to get some writing done. A mom needs revitalization.

But none of us have to be alone. There is always someone to play a game of Stratego with, someone to talk to about books (with avid readers in the house, we’ve all read a bunch of the same books), someone to stay up too late with, someone to help with the dishes, someone to run to Wal-Mart with and have a heart-to-heart as we drive.



Many think my husband and I are crazy to have so many children. But we know we are blessed beyond measure.

The end.











~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life AProverbs31Wife.com Missional Women MomsTheWord Homegrown Learners Hip Homeschool Moms


Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Your post is a great reminder that loneliness can sometimes be a choice. We need moments to be alone and regroup as well as moments of being together, laughing, playing & praying. Blessings to you as you raise your beautiful family, Meghan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful family you have, Meghan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Meghan. How lovely to meet you and see your gorgeous family. I have six siblings and have to say it influenced me to have a larger family (5) than is customary these days. I love this post. Would you share it with us at Five Star Frugal at A Tray of Bliss? We share family friendly ideas on living elegantly for less and you'd be welcomed with open arms. Love, Mimi xxx
    http://atrayofbliss.blogspot.com.au/2015/08/five-star-frugal-16with-pearls-and-candy.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have five kids, and I love your sentiments here. I never wanted a quiet house (although sometimes I do question my sanity on that decision! haha!), and now even if two kids are having a spat, there is always another child around they can play with. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are times you can be lonely even in a crowd. Having loving people around you make you feel safe and perhaps a protector. Children are a heritage and you are blessed. I find Jesus is always there even when I am alone. He is my constant companion and friend. I know you feel the same. you are a close neighbor at R & R blog party.

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)