Tuesday, September 8, 2015

What I Learned in Seven Months without Bathroom Mirrors

We’ve been in our new house for just over seven months. In those seven months, we’ve had only two mirrors in the house. One is in the half-bath on the first floor, a largely-unused much-too-small hand-me-down mirror that has been propped on the vanity. The second is an older, wooden-framed full-length mirror my husband hung in our master bathroom.

Our second floor has three bathrooms, all with double-bowl vanities, and not a single “proper” bathroom mirror. That’s right. No standard, beveled-edge mirror above the bathroom sinks. Our family of eight has been sharing the twelve-inch-wide mirror in the master bath.

Why? Quite frankly, we weren’t sure where to get them. We found an online supply store, but the prices for the size we need were astronomical. Menards, our primary supplier for the building project, had them by special order. But again, the prices were staggering. And maybe I’m too picky, but the wooden-framed mirrors in the bath departments were just too small and too uninteresting to warrant that expense.

As it turns out, The Home Depot had a good selection at reasonable prices, and the store is much closer to us than Menards. Were we idiots for not noticing the availability of mirrors before?

Maybe. But I think God wanted to teach me something.


Without a mirror above the sink, I could go in to use the facilities or wash my hands or get a tissue or retrieve some medicine for a child…without seeing myself.

Without seeing myself in a mirror above the sink, I didn’t stand there and scrutinize my appearance.

Without scrutinizing my appearance because I couldn’t see myself in a mirror above the sink, the negative self-talk diminished.

A lot.

I know I’m not the only one with negativity blabbing at me in my mind.

All I need to do is wash my hands and apply hand lotion. Instead, I spend far too long there.

Why did you ever think that top went with that skirt?

Why did you ever think your hair looked all right this morning?

Why did you ever think you should leave the house looking like that?

I’ve worked hard to stop saying things like that out loud. I don’t want my daughters to hear and begin to think those things about themselves.

But the little secret that probably a lot of us carry is that we still think these things.

The mirror is going up whether I want it or not, but that doesn’t mean I need to return to the negative self-talk. The Bible says that I am fearfully and wonderfully made. That’s the mirror I need.



Do you hear that, self?

You are WONDERFULLY made.

Do you hear that, friend?

YOU are WONDERFULLY made.


Amen and amen.








Am I crazy for not wanting a mirror? How do you struggle with believing you are wonderfully made?




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life AProverbs31Wife.com Missional Women MomsTheWord Homegrown Learners Hip Homeschool Moms


Pin It!

9 comments:

  1. Something to think about.

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first, the lack of mirrors was an inconvenience. But then we got into a rhythm of who used the tiny mirror when. Eventually, I started thinking.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are definitely not crazy, though that lesson was certainly unconventional and one I wouldn't think of trying. Thank you for an enlightening post! Stopping by from A Little R and R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the vote of confidence! Blessings!

      Delete
  4. Our daughter painted flowers across the top of our large bathroom sink mirror and then the ending of 1 Samuel 16:7 .... Man looks at the outward appearance, but God looks at the heart.

    It's been a wonderful reminder to me that what's on the inside is so much more important than my wild strands of gray hair falling from my bun by mid-day!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a beautiful idea! I've thought of a print of Psalm 139:14 in the bathroom, but I love the idea of it painted above and around the mirror. Thanks for stopping! :-)

      Delete
  5. That's beautiful. I have this Psalm printed out in my wallet along with a few others. It really helps the self-esteem to remember that every once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a mirror in the hallway and I have to walk by it several times a day. Now I have a reminder that I am wonderfully made and need to stop the negative comments under my breath. The Psalm was meant just for us to remember that we are wonderfully made in his image.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Comparing ourselves with other expectations can do all sorts of damage. I love that you shared truth in this post that society so much wants to deny...Thanks for sharing this encouragement!

    Coming from Living Proverbs 31,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)