Monday, September 14, 2015

The Methuselah Project Book Review ~ It really is as intriguing as it sounds…

The Methuselah Project. Did the title grab your attention? It did mine. In fact, that was the primary reason I wanted to review this book.




The Methuselah Project by Rick Barry is a dual time-period book, with part beginning in 1943 and part in the current day. WWII pilot Roger Greene is shot down over Nazi Germany and, as a prisoner of war, is forced to undergo a strange and unique medical test called the Methuselah Project. Captive for seventy years, when he does manage to escape, he still appears as youthful as the day of his capture. Obviously, the world has changed greatly in those seventy years, and Roger has a lot of catching up to do. As he tries to avoid being re-captured, he's forced to trust Katherine Mueller. But Katherine has some difficulties of her own to face. Can she trust Roger? Is he telling the truth? What is this organization that she seems to be a part of?

It is an intriguing premise that compelled me to read the book in two sittings.

The attention to detail is incredible. By the end of the book, I felt like I'd had a whole course in flying and pilot lingo in the most imaginative and entertaining way possible. Rick is an avid WWII buff and has spent many hours gleaning detailed information from pilots. He even has a uniform he wears to book events.




As far as the suspense element of the book, I had my suspicions about Katherine Mueller, the female character, and her uncle. I can't read suspense without trying to figure out who the bad guy is and why he's the bad guy. I suspect most suspense readers enjoy that challenge. What's particularly fun is when I figure it out before the characters. I like that, when I have knowledge that is still hidden from a character. Then, the nail-biting includes questions like when will she see the truth? How will it affect her? What will the outcome be?

Now that I've finished the book, my 15yo is ready to snatch it up. She'll probably have it done by tomorrow.
J










I received this book from Kregel Publications in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.



~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life AProverbs31Wife.com Missional Women MomsTheWord Homegrown Learners Hip Homeschool Moms


Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. That does sound like a good read. Dual time periods seem to be popular right now, and I'm enjoying a lot of these books.

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)