Tuesday, November 3, 2015

For Sale By Owner ~ The Great Purge of 2015 ~ Decluttering Series

{This is the fourth post in this decluttering series. If you need to catch up, the first three are The Great Purge of 2015 ~ Decluttering Series, WHY Declutter?, and 60 Things We've Said Goodbye To.}

So now I’ve decluttered, I’m surrounded by piles of stuff I don’t want, don’t need, and am tired of looking at. What do I do with it?

Some we gave to the thrift store. Some we gave to friends we knew would be blessed. {You should have seen our pastor’s eyes light up when we gave him a package of diapers for his little boy! J}

But other items we wanted to sell in an effort to make back some of the money we spent on the item originally and also to reap a bit of compensation for our time spent decluttering.



The biggest dilemma was where to list each item. It turns out there are several choices.

Local consignment shops. We sold a few items to Once Upon a Child, but many they didn’t want because they said they were out of style. I had no idea children’s styles changed so much!  When they did buy an item, they didn’t pay much. You could check in your area for consignment shops that take adult clothing, furniture, knick-knacks, artwork, and electronics as well.

Gold and jewelry buyers. I can’t tell you much about these places except that they exist. If you research for yourself, use caution.

Half Price Books or other used book stores that buy books. Take in the books, they evaluate and give you a quote, then you can either treat it as an in-store credit and buy more books, or take the ticket to the register and take home cash.

Word of mouth. A friend wanted to sell two Eddie Bauer solid wood booster seats and offered them to me before she went to Craigslist. Done! She made a little money, and we got top quality booster seats at a discounted price.

The local newspaper. Check prices before you place an ad. Our local paper offers free advertisements two times each month if the item is being sold for less than $200.

Facebook. I’ve seen FB friends list items such as clothing and scrapbooking supplies to sell right on their wall. {I have excess scrapbooking supplies and have thought of doing this as well.} Obviously, your price may need to include the cost of mailing. I’ve also seen FB groups whose purpose is to connect with local buyers. Search for your city or county.

Ebay. I’m not that familiar with this international site. I believe there are costs associated with listing items, so research carefully before you dive in.

Craigslist. This is a terrific site to connect with local buyers. There are several categories for listing items and no cost to sell.








What other sites can you add to the list to sell unwanted items?



~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life AProverbs31Wife.com Missional Women MomsTheWord Homegrown Learners Hip Homeschool Moms Reading List: Cozy Reading Spot


Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. I agree with what you said about the fees on ebay. I used to sell a lot on it, but now I don't bother unless it is an item that is likely to sell for a high price. We don't have consignment shops here, but I would be interested in those- probably in buying things from them though, which doesn't really help the decluttering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see what you mean about the consignment shops, Gwen. :-) I've heard of people who make a lot of money on ebay, but I don't think my stuff is that desirable!

      Delete
  2. We had a yard sale this fall and i will have to say that as i took the last few boxes of stragglers to Goodwill i felt free and clean - such a great feeling. It was so good that I'm eyeing the rest of those totes in storage for another purge. Thanks for sharing !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even think to list a rummage sale as an option to sell, Rebecca. Thank you! I agree with you on another purge. It seems that I'm just not getting all of it the first time through. :-)

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)