Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Going Paperless ~ The Great Purge of 2015 ~ Decluttering Series

As I began purging, I found tons of excess in closets and kitchen cupboards. But I also found piles of papers. Most of us live with bunches of paper. {Can I get a hearty amen, homeschooling moms? J} But does it really have to be that way?

Not with a scanner and a plan.



I’m not going to tell you which scanner to get, but I will say that once I finally got a good one, there was no end to the papers I found I could scan. In fact, I still find myself wandering the house, opening drawers in the desk and kitchen and other storage areas looking for paper to eliminate.

The following list is not necessarily comprehensive, only because I’m not sure I can remember what all I’ve scanned in the past months.

Owner’s manuals.
Recipe pages from cookbooks and torn out of magazines.
Homeschool workbooks, papers…everything.
Greeting cards we’ve received.
Sermon notes.
Bible Study Fellowship notes.
Sunday school papers and stories.
Conference and seminar handouts.
Blog posts and articles I had printed out because they were helpful.
College and grad school notes, tests, and papers.
Other course materials such as a course I took to prepare for the bar exam.
Blueprints, receipts, and notes from our construction process.
Documents from other homes we’ve owned.
Stories and articles I’ve had published.
Old journals.
Old letters.
Family calendars from years past.


I have kept the originals of some of these items that are particularly important or sentimental. But I have scanned them so that I have a digital copy in case the original is lost or destroyed.



Now, where can we keep our digital files? I’ve listed some choices, but I don’t claim to know how they each work, let alone the pros and cons. Study them before you decide what’s best for your situation.

The computer’s hard drive.
An external hard drive.
Flash drive/thumb drive.
In the cloud ~ Google Drive, Evernote, Dropbox.
Email to yourself and save it in a folder.
Email to a friend or family member to save in a special folder for you.

As you scan, organize your documents into folders so that you can find them easily later.

It’s taken a lot of effort, but now I can look at the desk and see the surface. {And the dust…. J}








What do you scan? Where do you store it? Add to my list! J



~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life AProverbs31Wife.com Missional Women MomsTheWord Homegrown Learners Hip Homeschool Moms Reading List: Cozy Reading Spot


Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness, why didn't I think of this?!?!?!?! lol I have extremely severe Toxic Injury, so I get sick from a lot of things, including ink. Sometimes paper things come with scent on them--that's one of the strongest chemicals I react to on paper. Plus paper is a mold magnet. Of course we use the computer for a lot of things (school essays & papers, Kindle, even e-textbooks and Apologia CD-ROMS). But I never thought to have someone scan Sunday School papers, owner's manuals, etc. You just made my life better; thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christa, I am SO, SO glad this was helpful! I have an allergy to newspapers, both the ink and the paper, and I never thought of going paperless as better for a person's health. Thank you for leaving your comment! :-)

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)