Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Jesus is my Valentine

I know the decorations are put away, Christmas music was silenced weeks ago, and everyone is counting down to balmy temperatures and daffodils and flip flops.

But in actuality, we only celebrated the birth of baby Jesus about six weeks ago. Had Mary overcome the discomfort of nursing within the first six weeks? Was Jesus still waking her up every two to three hours? Had he even outgrown his newborn clothes within the first six weeks? It hasn't really been that long.

{Don't worry. I'm not trying to extend Christmas. Stick with me here.}

Remember the love of God we sang of, praised, and glorified at Christmas?

Valentine's Day, a day to celebrate love, is upon us. It's the perfect segue from Christmas. Who could possibly be more loving than Jesus Christ? 


He doesn't bring roses. He doesn't need to. He is the rose and the lily of the valley. “I am the rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valleys.” ~ Song of Solomon 2:1

He doesn't give chocolates. He gives himself, the Bread of Life. “And Jesus said to them, ‘I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst.’” ~ John 6:35

He doesn't buy a greeting card filled with sentiment. He gives us an entire book filled with words of love. “And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.” ~ 1 Corinthians 13:13


You may think we're a little odd, but our tree is still up. We removed a few ornaments and refashioned it as our Valentine's tree. The red and gold ornaments serve to remind us of the celebration of love at Valentine's Day. The twinkle lights remind us that we are to be lights in the universe.



This year, and every year, Jesus is my Valentine.








Let's talk. Are we crazy to keep our tree up a bit longer? Isn't that ornament gorgeous? Who is your Valentine?



~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life AProverbs31Wife.com Missional Women MomsTheWord Homegrown Learners Hip Homeschool Moms Reading List: Cozy Reading Spot


Pin It!

11 comments:

  1. Amen! Perfect! As a new mom I have been thinking of ways I can creatively incorporate Christ-centered traditions into our holiday celebrations. I have actually thought of doing a Valentine's tree as well (though I was thinking about a mini table-top tree) decorated with hearts. I thought it could serve as a wonderful reminder of Christ's"love on a tree" (symbolizing His sacrificial death on the cross)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that symbolism, Kristin! Hearts are a good idea. I can see cut-outs done by the children.... Thanks for the ideas! :-)

      Delete
  2. This is so lovely. So true. I love the way you wrote this Meghan. Jesus is my valentine too! Matter of fact just a few moments ago before I sat back down at my pc I was pondering the wedding banquet to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzie. That's a great addition to the thoughts here...the wedding banquet!

      Delete
  3. Great post! My family keeps our tree up too! We put decorations for Easter and July fourth. We have never thought of doing a valentines day tree, but what a neat idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've never kept it up for this long, but it was particularly lovely this year. Not sure I could do an Easter tree, but we do have a few Easter decorations. :-)

      Delete
  4. That ornament is gorgeous! This is a great thought on Valentine's Day. I have a secret I will tell you...I'm not all that "in" to Valentine's Day (neither is my husband). This is a great way to celebrate Valentine's Day. Thank you so much for sharing your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't have to be a secret, Amanda. :-) We don't do much for Valentine's Day either. Thanks for stopping in!

      Delete
  5. Oh what a great way to re-purpose the generic celebrations of Valentine's Day! That ornament is gorgeous! Have you done a tutorial on it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that ornament is what started all of this. Every time I looked at it, I thought of Valentine's Day. And no tutorial. I didn't make it. It came through a ladies ministry Christmas ornament exchange. :-)

      Delete
  6. What fun! My kids sent Valentine's to Jesus last year... lovingly made messy heart cards... so sweet.

    Thank you for sharing your heart with the #TheCozyReadingSpot

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)