Tuesday, May 17, 2016

I'm Still Scanning ~ A Follow-Up to The Great Purge of 2015

Hello, my name is Meghan, and I'm addicted to scanning.

Last fall, I did a series about decluttering ~ The Great Purge of 2015. I think I need to rename it, because the decluttering continues. It's been a slow process, but we're pleased with the progress.
In particular, the scanning continues. It has become a pastime of sorts, something I can do while I read or watch a movie or {sometimes, off and on} guide a child through a workbook page or pray. 


The reward is an incredible encouragement...to throw away something that had been taking up space. But I also know I have a digital copy that will last indefinitely and that I can share easily with one or all of the children someday. 

I got my first portable scanner (my only scanner) last summer. Since then, I have eliminated boxes and boxes of paper and books from our home. No, that is not an exaggeration!


I have kept some keepsakes...special papers my children have written whether practicing their names in kindergarten or high school research papers, certificates and awards.... I have also kept some important papers that I need in original form but I also wanted a digital backup, just in case.


But lots of papers I want to keep but I don't need the original hogging precious shelf space.

  1. Law school notes.
  2. Bar review course notes.
  3. Undergrad English Lit notes.
  4. Completed Bible studies dating back more than 16 years.
  5. The children's Patch the Pirate books. (They only contain fill-in-the-blank devotionals and the occasionally-completed Fun Page.)
  6. Sunday school story handouts.
  7. House drawings.
  8. Payment receipts.
  9. Menards-Home Depot receipts from home-building.
  10. Children's school papers, like spelling practice and tests and math worktexts.
  11. Owner's manuals.
  12. Interesting blog posts I had printed out and put in binders.
  13. Greeting cards from years past.
  14. Notes and the programs from homeschool conventions.
  15. Recipes.
  16. Magazine articles worth keeping.
  17. Notes I had hand-written or printed out for various books I’ve written.
  18. Homeschool curriculum including lesson plans, quizzes and tests, and answer keys.
  19. Decades of sermon notes.
  20. Medical history for all of us.
  21. Papers related to our timeshare ownership.
  22. Insurance information.
  23. Receipts from automotive work.


It has been so freeing to digitize all those papers! Imagine how much easier another move could be! I'm giddy just thinking of the lighter load. Who says you need a ton of stuff and papers when you have a big family? J








What have you scanned? I need some ideas. I might be missing something. J


~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life AProverbs31Wife.com Missional Women MomsTheWord Homegrown Learners Hip Homeschool Moms Reading List: Cozy Reading Spot


Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Meghan, this is so inspiring! I will consider doing this soon. Only problem is...our scanner went out. Can you tell me more about your scanner and how you like it?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cherry! Sorry for my delayed response...technical difficulties.

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)