Tuesday, July 5, 2016

E-readers Are Beautiful…Or Are They?

Before we get into today’s discussion, I want to let you know of a sale Harlequin/Love Inspired is running for the month of July. It’s a sale that includes my book, Under Duress! I’m honored to represent the state of Indiana in the Fifty Books – Fifty States– 50% Off sale.

US Map
It's a great time to get it, if you haven't already! Click through to shop HERE.

~~~~~

A couple of weeks ago, we discussed the pros and cons of print books.

Let’s talk about e-readers today.

A few years ago, I began hearing friends talk about how much they loved their kindles. No way, I thought to myself. I am never reading on a screen!

Call me a Luddite if you wish, but that felt like succumbing to technology. I didn’t want to be absorbed into a screen, even if it was the glorious words of Pride and Prejudice or A Christmas Carol.

Then…my husband gave me an iPad for Christmas about three years ago. I downloaded the kindle app and found a few books and gave it a whirl. This past Christmas, he gave me a Kindle Paperwhite, and I now have hundreds of books classified into categories. It’s not perfect, and I’m not willing to give up print books. But I appreciate it.


Pros ~

  1. Some books are available only for kindle, especially when the author self-publishes. There is no other way to read that book except electronically.
  2. I can carry literally hundreds of books with me, everywhere I go, even on a vacation of thousands of miles.
  3. My Kindle Paperwhite is lighter and easier to carry than many books. Did you know Charles Dickens’ Bleak House is over 1,000 pages?
  4. Lots and lots of classics are free for kindle.
  5. Lots of contemporary books are free for kindle for a limited time.
  6. E-books can be less expensive. My own book, Under Duress, is one dollar less in electronic format.
  7. More on an e-reader means less to dust in the house.


Cons ~

  1. The kindle needs to stay charged. No battery life means no reading.
  2. I haven’t done the research, but I’ve heard that too much exposure to a screen can be damaging to your eyes. On the other hand, my optometrist said that the kindle and the kindle paperwhite have eliminated that risk. I don’t know for sure, but it seems to fit best here under the Cons. {I’m not a doctor, and this isn’t medical advice.}
  3. If it’s lost, there go hundreds of books.
  4. Until someone puts a scratch-and-sniff button on it, there is no aroma of books.
  5. My kindle contents are completely dependent on Amazon. So far, so good, but you never know the future….


There you have it. Isn’t it interesting how writing out a list can often make you see things more clearly? Sometimes....








What do you think of e-readers? These aren’t fightin’ words. We’re just talking here. J



~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life AProverbs31Wife.com Missional Women MomsTheWord Homegrown Learners Hip Homeschool Moms Reading List: Cozy Reading Spot


Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Meghan,

    I wonder if there is a name for someone who is leaning toward being a Luddite after initially embracing the technology. "neo-Luddite" ???

    Anyway, I do appreciate my Kindle app on my various devices for all the reasons you listed, but I find myself shying away from it more and more.

    What I liked it most for was reading in bed if my husband already had the lights out. It was less glaring that using one of those little book lamps. But lately I find that it irritates my eyes so much that I just turn it off and go to sleep.

    I spoke to an opthalmologist friend who said some preliminary results are showing that all the time children are spending on video games is producing the kinds of impact that UV rays cause and that they fear earlier onset of cataracts, etc. She did emphasize it's only preliminary research. I don't know if the paperwhite technology protects against that kid of problem.

    My biggest gripe is wanting to be able to flip pages easily when I'm looking for something. Skimming through a book with your fingers swiping is not the same. I find it irritating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cate!!! It's so great to see you here!

      Right, the research doesn't seem to be conclusive on the impact on a reader's eyes. I'm glad you mentioned video games. We have never done much with those, and my youngest children don't have kindles either. Only my two teenage girls have one. I wouldn't want reading on a kindle to start an addiction to screens.

      Yes, to be able to look for something easily! Books are much better for that type of searching.

      Delete
  2. Hi Meghan,

    I very much enjoyed your entry on e-readers. A number of years ago, my husband and daughter gave me an iPad for my birthday and it has been a blessing! I check e-books out of our local library through Overdrive and do all my reading this way. While I miss going to the library (both a pro and a con, depending on the weather), I am allergic to either the dust or ink in books  and feel better when reading electronically.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my kindle, but most of the time I prefer paper books. How do you organize books into categories on your Kindle or paperwhite? This will be so helpful to me.

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)