Tuesday, July 19, 2016

What will your books say about you in 100 years?

I am one of over thirty grandchildren on my mother's side. In prior years, as my mother and her siblings have sorted through households filled with family items, I have received a number of old books. It didn’t take long of flipping through pages to realize I’d found a treasure trove.

Names and dates.
Pressed leaves and flowers.
Poems.
Book reports.
Embroidery.
Lists.
Photos.
Newspaper clippings.
Locks of hair.
Doodles.










My daughters and I have spent hours poring over these finds, wondering and weaving stories about the past owners.

But it also begs the question ~ what are we leaving for posterity in this digital age?

I have the letters I wrote home to my parents my first year away at college. I also doodled in my books, underlined passages, and made copious notes in the margins.

But life – and technology – has changed since my college days. Life is different for my children than it was for me at their ages.

How do you press a flower in a kindle?

Where do you take notes in the margin of an online article?

How will future children and grandchildren see the doodle of a future husband's name when all is exchanged in texts?

I decided a few years back that I wouldn't switch completely to e-books and e-everything. But now I've made a new resolution. I think I'll start leaving notes and lists and that little backyard bouquet from the 5yo inside the pages of posterity.

And just perhaps…perhaps, a note of encouragement, a verse of Scripture, a doodle of yours or mine could inspire a future generation at a time that God appoints.








What will your books say about you in 100 years?


~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life AProverbs31Wife.com Missional Women MomsTheWord Homegrown Learners Hip Homeschool Moms Reading List: Cozy Reading Spot


Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. Although doodling is books is completely out of my abilities, I love the idea of saving notes, photos, etc. in books for the future! I love when I find things in my books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like finding a hidden treasure! Thanks, Rachel.

      Delete
  2. Very true!! I think there is too much technology. We use it so much it is hard to get away from it. Sad though our grandkids are losing out on so much.

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're the weirdos who don't allow our children to have much technology, Charlotte. :-) But among other things, they read, they write, they draw, and we have great family conversations. Hopefully, our children's grandchildren will find a treasure trove in their books some day.

      Delete
  3. Interesting thought! I keep a journal more or less regularly with the idea that it will be for my family to share when I'm gone. I also fill up a set of scriptures with notes and then save it for one of my children. My goal is to have enough sets saved up to give one to each child (9 kids so far) before I die.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that idea, Tristan! Several years ago, at a different church, I knew a pastor who was reading through a new Bible and making notes in it to give to his daughter when she turned 16. Many blessings on achieving your goal!

      Delete
  4. I really liked this post, Meghan. I have some rare books from my Grandpa and Grandma Hyatt with their writing in it too. My father who passed away last Halloween wrote a note for me in every book he bought me. In the front of the C. S. Lewis Bible, he wrote a quite lengthy letter explaining how proud he was of me, and he knows God will use my writing for his Glory. Now that he's gone, I LOVE reading these notes, even if it is hard to finish without tears in my eyes. I have been doing the same thing with my boys' books. What a legacy to leave behind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a sweet blessing, Kelly! I'm sure those will be treasured for a long time, and someday your great-grandchildren will read his words of encouragement to you and be encouraged themselves. :-)

      Delete
  5. I love this! The only old book I have from family is my grandmother's Bible. Seeing her handwriting while reading her notes on what she read is wonderful. Her last church bulletin and several little I love you notes from grandchildren are there. It's a blessing to have her handwriting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A double blessing, Lori -- your grandmother's notes AND her Bible! :-)

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)