Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Talk to the Moon…or perhaps a better title would be “Missing My Dad”

{I was searching for a blog post topic in my stash of ideas and jottings and came across this little piece I wrote nearly five years ago. I was at the college getting some work done while my oldest three were in their dual enrollment class and my youngest three were sitting with me working on their homeschool work…and I started crying. In the middle of the study area. A few tears slipped down my cheek, and I couldn’t help it. I still miss my dad, and he passed away more than seven years ago. My 6yo will never know him, and my 8yo doesn’t remember him at all.

It seemed right to share this with you today, along with the somewhat overdone but still valid admonition to hug the ones you love a little bit longer today. Be sure to say I love you and I’m proud of you. No one knows what tomorrow will bring.}


The storm door creaks, and she steps into the moonlight, carefully lifting her veined feet over the threshold. She pulls her sweater around her in the humid night air and breathes deeply. The moon is nearly full, and she lifts watery eyes to take in its’ brilliance.

“The grandkids were here tonight, Harry,” she says to the moon. “We ate at Monicals, at that table in the back. They’re getting so big, so grown up, and the baby isn’t really a baby anymore. He has our name, Harry, but I think I’ve told you that before.”

The moon gazes down on her, listening intently, as she wipes an eye.

“We had ice cream, too. I still buy the vanilla you like.”

The crickets buzz in her ear, and she shoos a mosquito away. But she can’t … won’t … look away.

“Oh, Harry, I had no idea it would be this hard. We had some good times together, though, didn’t we?” She hums a little bit of I’ll be loving you always, swaying in the moonlight, hugging her arms around herself.

“Happy anniversary, Harry.”











P.S. I'll be sending out my first author newsletter this weekend, and I have a special giveaway for subscribers. I'd be thrilled if you signed up below! Thanks.


~~~~~
I would be honored if you signed up for my author newsletter.
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~




Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. This touched my heart. My dad will be gone 3 years this month:( I miss him so much. Thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry, Sara Mae! I'm glad this post ministered to you. :-)

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)