Wednesday, July 19, 2017

I don’t want to be a “Midas” woman {A Guest Post}

I am super-excited to have a guest today! My in-real-life friend, Valorie Quesenberry, posted the following thought on Facebook over the weekend. I was so taken by it that I knew I had to share it with you {with her permission, of course}. 

~~~~~

I don't want to be a "Midas" woman . . . but my experience yesterday showed me how vulnerable I am.

In a land far away lived a woman with a very ordinary life. Everything about her life was average. And though she was used to her daily routine, she dreamed of differentness, of glamour, of being and having more.

One day, she was visited by a fairy who promised to grant her any wish of her heart. The woman already knew what she wanted. She asked the fairy to give her a “magic touch” so that everything she touched would be magically enhanced and look better, prettier, richer. The fairy cautioned her to consider her wish carefully, reminding her that simplicity is one of life’s unappreciated treasures. But our heroine’s mind was made up, so the fairy granted her wish.

She could hardly wait to try out her new gift. Walking into her living room, she touched her rather worn plaid couch. Immediately it became supple leather, rich brown and tastefully stitched. 

Delighted, she turned to the coffee table, the piano, the lamps and the picture on the wall. All day she glided from one room to the next, making her commonplace house into a showplace. In the master bedroom, she opened her closet and touched the garments, exchanging each one for something new and trendy. She went next to her dressing table and acquired exotic perfumes and high priced cosmetics. Catching a glance of herself in the mirror, she paused for a moment and then daringly touched her eyes, eyebrows, nose, lips, chin and hair. Zap! Her waist became svelte; her thighs smooth and sleek. The transformation was astonishing. She had traded average looks for supermodel beauty. She was ecstatic.

She was eager for her husband and children to come home, so excited with all the wonderful changes they would see. When the school bus stopped, she waited with a big smile. But when she opened the door, her children weren’t glad, but frightened. She reached out to them, wanting to reassure them that she was still Mommy.

But the instant her fingers touched their little faces, she realized her mistake. Before her eyes, the little ones whose images were imprinted on her soul morphed into beauty-pageant-like tots, their imperfect, lovable little features erased forever. With an agonizing cry, she sprang back, clawing at her own hands, begging the fairy to take back the gift. Too late she realized that happiness is found, not in something different or better, but in full appreciation of the blessings we already possess.

No one escapes the “Midas touch” desire. You and I may never have the opportunity to actually try it out, but it calls to us all the same. Underneath its glittery coat, it bears an ugly name – greed.


I felt the lure of the fairy just yesterday as I walked into a home decor superstore. Everywhere were things that were so beautiful, so trendy, so "Pottery Barn," so "me" or at least the look I want to define my home. I wanted to snatch this and that and the next thing. (and I also wanted to have the money to pay for it, of course!:)

But my past shopping forays tell me that I can never have enough to satisfy the hunger for the new and beautiful. I have been able to accumulate a few things that at the time were "all that" and now they are not enough. I want something different, something else. There is always something beautiful to allure my eyes.

I realized in a new way that I will never have so much that I don't hear the siren call for something new. This desire to embrace beautiful things must not become a curse. I must keep it in its rightful place. To this pull of the present, I must answer with the wisdom of the ages. The wisdom of the God of the ages.

" . . . beware of covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses.” Luke 12:15

I can learn to say "Right now, I have enough."


That's a life-changing phrase.

~~~~~

Valorie is a pastor’s wife and writer, and you can find her blogging at The Q Scoop as well as on Facebook. Thank you, Valorie, for allowing me to share your writing here!








Do you struggle with the desire to be a Midas woman? Or have you decided that you have enough?



~~~~~
I would be honored if you signed up for my author newsletter.
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~




Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately I think we all want way more than we need. I guess it is because we live in a fallen world.

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)