Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Three Reasons to Homeschool During the Summer

Hi, my name is Meghan, and I’m addicted to homeschooling.

{Hi, Meghan.}

Not really! But judging by the looks we get when we admit that we’ve started school already, I think some people think so. In fact, we started in June.

I’m not advocating never taking a break. We had a three-week break in May when we traveled, and we’ll have another three-week break in August.

But, for our family, we don’t have a two-plus-month summer break. Here’s why ~


Too many skills are lost or forgotten over long breaks. Teachers deal with this reality every fall when students return to their desks. That’s why typically the first month of each new school year is spent in review. In fact, many of our local schools are now offering workbooks for students to take home for the summer. The pupils do a couple of pages each day to keep their skill set sharp.

When temperatures reach the upper 80s and 90s, the children don’t want to go outside. Quite frankly, I don’t blame them, especially with the humidity levels here in the Midwest. Sure, there are excellent indoor activities as well, and my children love to read, do puzzles, and play with Legos, among other activities. But too often, I hear the plaintive wail of “Can I watch a movie?” I absolutely do not want my children to spend a summer in front of a screen. Spending a little bit of time with school work helps make for a screen-free summer and still provides opportunities for making their own creative play. We save our time off for colder weather, our favorite time of year, when we can jump in piles of fall leaves and build snowmen.

It gives a jump start on the new school year and, thus, wiggle room for the future. You never really know what’s coming next in life. You can plan and prepare, but, too many times, we’re thrown a curve ball. When that happens, whether that unexpected event is good or bad, it can be helpful to have a few days of school in already. My 80+ year old mother decided, mid-year, to sell her condo, downsize, and move to an apartment in a retirement community. It was a wise decision, but it also took some time…cleaning out, listing the condo, selling a ton of stuff, deciding who is going to take which items, hauling things hither and thither, finding boxes, packing, unpacking. You know how that can go. But because we had started school earlier in the summer and had a few wiggle days, we were able to make the hour drive (each way) and help out several times.

If you have a lot of activities or commitments over the summer or if you take long family vacations, this may not work for you. I know some families take schoolwork on vacations, but I’d rather just leave it at home. That’s the true beauty of homeschooling, though. It can be arranged around your family’s needs.








Do you school in the summer? Why or why not?



~~~~~
I would be honored if you signed up for my author newsletter.
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~




Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. Three very good reasons indeed.

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Charlotte. Blessings to you!

      Delete
  2. I filed my affidavit and evaluation with the school district before the end of June, so I could count school days from there on. My evaluator said she counts VBS and summer camp classes as school days, so I am too:) I agree that it's sometimes so hot that the kids want to stay inside and watch movies all day. I want to get back to school lessons as soon as we're through VBS. That will give us a jump start before the baby comes in September. My husband should have more time at home in the winter, so it's nice to be flexible. Right now, he's not home much except to eat and sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent reasons, Trisha! I would do exactly the same thing to allow plenty of time for baby and husband. Congratulations and many blessings to you!

      Delete
  3. We homeschool year round as well. Our summer schedule is three weeks on with one week off every month and three days of lessons each week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I neglected to put it in my post, but we do just four days of school each week, and we're a lot more flexible in taking spontaneous days off. I like your schedule, Chrystal!

      Delete
  4. I like to do school in the summer for those same reasons. We like to take a longer winter break and schooling partially in the summer allows our schedule to be more flexible. This summer has been different, but we are working on Texas State History and that will free my teaching schedule each unit just a bit when we start back full time in August. I also count special library programs as school, since they cover various topics a little differently than we would at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love those library programs and use them as school as well, Suanna. That's a good point number four for my post -- there are too many good opportunities in the summer that could count for school. :-)

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)