Wednesday, September 13, 2017

I don’t have time for wasting, and neither does my homeschooled high school senior.

Homeschooling tends to be a journey of firsts, doesn’t it?

This year is no different. A couple of weeks ago, we did something with one of our homeschooled children that we’d never done before.

We let our twelfth grader test out of Grammar.

I’m a little embarrassed to admit that it was her idea.

Our first clue that perhaps this subject was going to be busy work was when the books arrived. The twelfth grade handbook was the same as the eleventh grade book. But, like the diligent, by-the-book educators that we tend to be, we started on it anyway.

A couple of weeks in to the curriculum, my twelfth grader came to me to say that she had already learned everything in the lessons. “Do I really have to do all these exercises just to identify subjects and verbs?”

“Review is an important part of learning, especially when you start a new school year,” I said. “But we can cross out some of the problems.”

{Please note that this is, in no way, an incrimination of our curriculum. Review really is an important part of learning. It’s just that our particular student had absorbed it all. Also, she is continuing with the composition part of the subject so she can get more practice in writing and research.}

A few days later, we found out that she qualified for the National Bible Bee Competition. For this, she would study, in-depth, a book of the Bible and memorize approximately 900 verses. Much time would be required for study if she hoped to make it to the final round where cash prizes and scholarships were awarded. First place takes $50,000 {no small amount for college!}, but the eternal prize is the knowledge of God’s Word.

It wasn’t difficult to know which held more value.

So she posed a solution. “If I can take Test 12 (the last test of the year) and pass it, can I just skip all of Grammar this year?”

“Is it comprehensive?”

“Yes, just like the other years.”

I consulted with my husband, our school principal J, and we quickly decided that if she could get an A, she could test out of that subject. If she already knew the material, why waste time on a year of review? Also, colleges allow students to test out of basic subjects all the time.

An afternoon of study later, she passed with a 99.5%, gleefully put the Grammar book back on the shelf, and began memorizing more Bible passages.




Have I mentioned recently how much I love homeschooling? J








How is your homeschool year going so far? Have you allowed your child to test out of any subjects?




~~~~~
I would be honored if you signed up for my author newsletter.
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~




Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS to your daughter. That is wonderful and I agree why waste time doing the same thing over and over.

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)